PDA

View Full Version : Old book I read decades ago. . .

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Steevo
September 5th, 2012, 09:45 PM
OK, can anyone place this one?
This was a book that I read years ago, and I want to reread it.

This was something of a dystopic future, the government was keeping an eye on everyone. A totalitarian regime.

The main character was a young man who somehow got the job of going to this wealthy person's home while they were away and keeping an eye on things. I remember there being carpet rolled up in the house. Kind of a mansion.

So he meets a woman and for some reason he is not supposed to have anything to do with her, at least on a more personal level, if you know what I mean.

So he takes her to the house he is watching and they start a relationship, and they then get caught somehow and he is accused of miscegenation.

I remember that word in the story, so that should be pretty specific.

It was a long story as I recall and there was time travel and everlasting life in it. But I could be mixing that up.

Does that ring a bell?

Steevo
September 20th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Wow. Nobody knows what story that was?

mylinar
September 21st, 2012, 08:38 AM
Wow. Nobody knows what story that was?

Only a couple of tidbits here seem familiar, and for some reason I keep thinking of a movie rather than a book. It was bladerunner-ish is about all I can bring to mind.

Steevo
September 21st, 2012, 11:10 AM
Well, thinking of tidbits, a few more come to mind from old long lost memories.

As I recall it turns out she is secretly from another planet, and they go there.

This other planet has a treatment for anti aging, he gets it and so lives forever. The other planet also has time travel, but only one way. They send him back to the time of Christ and he witnesses many historical events over thousands of years.

People age and die around him but he has to make himself up to look older and every so many years has to disappear and appear again younger elsewhere.

Marries, raises a family, etc. Over and over to get back to present time.

What a grind that sounds like, huh?

Steevo
October 11th, 2014, 12:37 PM
I am still looking for this story.

As the google index gets better and better over time I expect to be able to find it eventually.
Hah.

Immortality, time travel, miscegenation, and a dystopic future.

ImaginaryEvents
October 11th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Don't remember house-sitting/carpet bit, but was the main character, at the end of the book, sitting around waiting for The Last Starship From Earth (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/872518.The_Last_Starship_from_Earth)? (John Boyd, 1968)

Probably not, but it does hit a number of your points:
Immortality, time travel, miscegenation (a mathematician and a poet - ugh!), and a dystopic future.

Steevo
October 11th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Don't remember house-sitting/carpet bit, but was the main character, at the end of the book, sitting around waiting for The Last Starship From Earth (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/872518.The_Last_Starship_from_Earth)? (John Boyd, 1968)

Probably not, but it does hit a number of your points:
Immortality, time travel, miscegenation (a mathematician and a poet - ugh!), and a dystopic future.

I don't think that's the one. But I am seeing if the library has it. Thanks.

Anyone else?