View Full Version : Help me

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

milamber_reborn
September 19th, 2002, 02:27 AM
I'm looking for contests to enter short stories, namely fantasy and sci-fi (and one general fiction with violence).

I came across a good one, but I don't quite get what what they're after:

GENRE: We publish literary short fiction. Any submission that squats humorlessly in a single genre (including the genre 'literary short fiction') is unlikely to get published here.

Any ideas?

Forrest
September 19th, 2002, 03:25 AM
It sounds as if to get published, you need to write a longwinded true story about a hillarious cowby from the 1600's who rides a dragon and fights space aliens. (i.e., no humorless short fiction in a single genre)

But I'm just being silly so ignore me.

milamber_reborn
September 19th, 2002, 10:40 AM
The way I first read it I had somewhat similar thoughts. Just seems a bit weird they wouldn't accept normal (but high quality) sc-fi and fantasy.

choppy
September 19th, 2002, 02:04 PM
It sound to me like they're just looking for "out of the box" type thinking. If you have something good, that just doesn't seem to fit a classical definition, I'd say submit. Remember the worst they can do is write a nasty form rejection letter.

While I'm here, has anyone heard anything about the L. Ron Hubbard Writer's of the Future contest?

kahnovitch
September 19th, 2002, 07:06 PM
GENRE: We publish literary short fiction. Any submission that squats humorlessly in a single genre (including the genre 'literary short fiction') is unlikely to get published here

It's a total contradiciton in terms.
They "publish literary short fiction", but yet "literary short fiction is unlikely to get published here"

What's that I smell? Is it sheep?.... is it pig?..... is it cow?....
NO! It's horsesh*t!

P.S. sorry if that's not much help Mil, but I suffer from "Leary" syndrome. My excuse for everything these days :D

Sidwynspider
September 20th, 2002, 07:40 AM
The reference to "squats humorlessly in a single genre..." seems to infer that if you are to write against an archtypical genre background you must do so with some comedy, or tongue-in-cheek. Thus works similar to Tolkien would not be accepted as they are serious within a single genre, whilst Pratchett would be permissable as he takes a sardonic side-swipe at fantasy in general.

Whether this stipulation is intended to force you into writing originally or simply amusingly though is anyones guess. The fact that humor is requisite only when writing in a single genre, may be seen to imply that if one writes a cross-genre work then the requirement of humor is invalidated. Alternately, given that they have asserted that "literary short fiction" is a genre in it's own right (that being the material which they publish) then it may be concluded that any item submitted must not be written humorlessly. Yet if this were the case why do they not simply state: write with humor?

In short, I fear that they are talking through a hole in their helmet Milamber. I say this as a law student well used to deciphering imprecisely drafted statutory codes. The only thing I can recommend is try to get hold of some work they have already published and see what relation it bears to the nonsense that is their submission guidelines. Or just throw caution to the wind and enter anyway; whether rejected or not, writing anything is good exercise.
All the best with those contests.

milamber_reborn
September 20th, 2002, 11:10 AM
While I'm here, has anyone heard anything about the L. Ron Hubbard Writer's of the Future contest?

I came across it yesterday, and I am going to send an entry tomorrow. You only have until 30th September. They run it in four quarters. It's a foundation set up by L. Ron Hubbard, who is a legend of the arts. I can't believe I didn't know who he was.

There are three good cash prizes, but it ranks up there with the Hugo and the Nebula, but aimed at discovering almost unpublished (read the guidlines for specifics) writers. Roger Zelazny, Anne Mcaffrey and Orson Scott Card are amongst the judges, so...

kahnovitch
September 20th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Good luck old chap and as for those other a**holes, They sound like a waste of freakin' oxygen.
Just think how many trees it takes just to allow them to breath?
That oxygen could be saving a life right now!

milamber_reborn
September 21st, 2002, 02:03 AM
I don't think they're that bad. Their fee rate is good for a contest. They just to be more direct with their guidelines.

Valada
September 23rd, 2002, 03:58 AM
L. Ron Hubbard... wasn't he also the founder of that cult thing of which Tom Cruise is a member? What are they called again?