PDA

View Full Version : Authors Co-operate together to produce a short story/stories

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

computer
September 23rd, 2002, 02:53 PM
I did have this on another thread but it wasn't titled clearly and frankly I weren't getting enough feedback on it.

At the moment there are two authors willing to do this-myself and Sidwynspider.

I am looking for another two-three authors who are willing to work together. Once we have the authors then we can discuss more on the story etc.

Cheers

Marc

Sidwynspider
September 24th, 2002, 06:31 AM
Okay, in part this is just a cynical attempt to bump this thread up. It's also to vocalise my disappointment that no-one else has taken up this idea. Of course everyones busy, I'm smack in the middle of one story for publication (not to mention a degree).
This isn't a project to see entirely seriously. From my point of view the merit of being involved in a collaboration like this is that working with other writers will shake me out of familiar habits. A chance to explore and develop new characters and new settings and to tinker with a different writing style.
Being busy is not an excuse not to take part, it is a reason to do so. This is a chance to write for writings sake and to work on new ideas. Surely anyone serious about writing couldn't turn down such an opportunity.
I think that's enough recrimination. Seriously this will be fun, but I just hope we can get it off the ground. Lack of experience is no bar to participation.

kater
September 25th, 2002, 02:46 PM
I'm interested though quite busy, how you guys gonna work this?

computer
September 25th, 2002, 02:51 PM
when we get 4-5 authors in on it we will sort out jobs and such...like who will be editor-simple we find out who is the better author i.e we read each others work and see who is better

im not too sure how we gonna write it but we can discuss a way of getting it done when we have the authors

i know im not telling much but this is new territory here for me
any suggestions on how to do this plz dont hesitate to ask

cheers

Marc

Sidwynspider
September 28th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Okay, so we're up to three now. I don't know exactly how we should go about something like this, but here's my suggestion:
We come up with the beginning and the end of the story (or at least roughly so). Then decide on a number of chapters which is divisible by the number of collaborators. We then each write a chapter in series following from the previous writers section, with a view ultimately toward pulling it to our intended conclusion.
Theoretically, by roughly knowing where the tale is going we should be able to maintain continuity; although we will of course still need someone to edit.
Anyway, I reckon once we have another person on board we get started straight away. Maybe if we give others the idea of the story they may be interested in signing up.

computer
September 28th, 2002, 12:01 PM
we need to decide on the type of story we are going to write

i personnally wish to do it on fantasy

if we are going to give people an idea we need to decide on what genre it is. im a better fantasy writer so other genre's will be a challenge for me. i agree with that way of doing it-a chapter each but we all need to just post ideas for the story but thats after what we decide the genre is.

marc

Pirate Jenn
September 28th, 2002, 11:36 PM
I might be willing--but not for another month or so (but, if you're doing a chapter at time, that may not matter...depending on the structure) But, if there are others more willing, I can take a back seat. :)

Question re background, etc. Would we hash out background and such prior to beginning or go at it the traditional, who-knows-what-is-what way?

computer
September 29th, 2002, 03:18 PM
decide it all later....wen we finally have peopl sorted out

Se'dray-on
October 3rd, 2002, 01:34 PM
I'd be glad to join. I'm a bit busy with school, trying to get a job and my own novel, but I think i can contribute to a chapter at a time.

Sounds like fun, let me know when you have it all hashed out

Cheers:D

computer
October 6th, 2002, 06:25 PM
ok se'dray on we still need it firmly set in its course

i mean this is what we are doing it on:

fantasy- 2 main chars(man an woman)
names:
Man~?
Woman~?

thats a start

Marc