PDA

View Full Version : Creative writting after programming for 10?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

bluetreefrog
September 24th, 2002, 11:24 PM
Its a cryptic title, but thats just me. My question posed to any who may have suggestions is:

I work as a programmer, and tend to spend anywhere from 8 to 12 hours a day coding. This puts me in a very matter-of-a-fact mentality that seems to squash any potential creative thoughts.

I enjoy writting a great deal, and at times I even manage to create a story that entertains family and friends for hours. My problem is that I can only do this when I am on vacation from or just plain not working much at my job.

So, given my sad story, does anyone have thoughts on how I can "recover" from my job enough to enjoy my hobby?

Thanks,

kahnovitch
September 25th, 2002, 12:12 AM
Unfortunately writing is one unforgiving, time-consuming and demanding little mistress. You have to make time for it, lots of time.
After work it's damn hard to get into that frame of mind as all you want to do is kick back and relax.
I don't know if you have a spouse and kids etc, but if you do then you obviously have even less time to yourself.
All I can suggest is allocate a time for your writing, whether it be a couple of hours during a working week or at the weekend.
Lock yourself in the bedroom with a pen and paper away from all distractions and see what comes of it.

choppy
September 25th, 2002, 01:25 AM
I have this problem too. I'm a grad student and my research at the moment has a strong numerical component (translation - endless hours in front of the computer). I really enjoy writing, but sometimes I get home, sit down in front of my home computer and something inside me shouts "ENOUGH!"

What I find works well is physical activity. I try to work out every other day - weights, Judo, flag-football, hiking - those all work for me. Even just getting up and walking around helps me sometimes. It's important to do something specifically not computer-ish - to give yourself a break.

Now I know the problem is one of time. If you barely have time to work and write, how are you supposed to find time for something else? Unfortunately I don't think there's an easy answer. All I know is that I find it easier to concentrate if I'm not restless behind my machine - thus the time that I have in front of the machine is more productive (said he as procrastinated by surfing forums on the web).

Something else just came to mind as well. I know that some authors like to do their first drafts in longhand - it's not nearly as efficient as the computer because it will all have to be typed back in again anyway, but if it may help youto switch gears a little bit.

Cheers.

Valada
September 25th, 2002, 02:15 AM
It's a tough one. And, speaking from experience, it's not limited to those who spend their days working on numerical-type things. Previously I was a student (including a research student, working on a substantial thesis) and now, my job involves reading and writing for up to ten hours a day (sometimes more). Once you've written that much, you tend to find that it's like a well that runs dry - you want to do something, anything, that's different. And that's why I waste my evenings watching television or playing computer/console games rather than writing (or even reading, most of the time)! It's a sad state of affairs.