PDA

View Full Version : The Ellison Alphabet!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

estranghero
September 25th, 2002, 03:42 AM
Ho-hum...

My brain is threatening to go on a strike from too much work. So while I'm resting, I wanna suggest a small contest in the Writing forum, like those suggested in the GD forums.

Obviously, any contest here needs to be writing-related so I'm suggesting one that's a little more... creative. (Actually, I got this idea from something Harlan Ellison did in his piece, 'The Chocolate Alphabet from A to Z'. GO check it out.)

Basically, the rule is this: for each letter of the alphabet, think of a word (whether real or imaginary) and write a real short, small snippet of a story based on it. That's it. That's all. Of course, the shorter the better (1 or 2 lines) though I suppose the max should be, say, limited to 2 or 3 paragraphs? Of course, these stories should be interesting, right?

So, as the guy who suggested this stupid idea, lemme go first:

A is for Arcslinger

Arcslinger is the mythical slingshot used by David against the Philistine giant, Goliath. It was given to him by a holy man of the desert who prophesied that with the use of this weapon, he would come to rule the whole world.

Of course, after the battle with Goliath, David shucked the slingshot and eventually went on to become only the king of the small kingdom. This was because even though he faced with the possibility of becoming the ruler of the whole world, David couldn't handle being constantly laughed at by his enemies for bringing a slingshot to a war...

Cedric Frost
September 25th, 2002, 03:00 PM
B is for the bitter brawling bard breeding benevolent beasts by browbeating brisk Bethany Brighteyes. A bear. ;)

computer
September 25th, 2002, 04:53 PM
C is for the Carnal beast with its huge mouth full with rows and rows of sharp teeth as it stalks it's prey. With a bound and a leap it neatly swipes the small prey from the floor into its mouth and with a sikening crunch breaks it's small body upon its teeth!!!!

marc

Ladijen
September 26th, 2002, 02:11 PM
D is for Dryheat.

The dryheats live in the deserts of the Southwestern United States. Rugged and fearsome, they require very little water and thrive in the sun and sand. Interestingly, humidity renders them sterile and so they usually shy away from large bodies of water and from cities, where people water their lawns and wash their cars. However, some of the juveniles will occasionally get curious and venture into populated areas. People are often startled by the scaly creatures with their long tusks and needle-sharp claws. However, despite their appearance, they are essentially harmless (unless cornered), feeding only on tough, scrub-like desert plants. Thus, when one of these creatures frightens someone it is common to reassure them that, though scary, the beast is harmless: "Hey, at least it's a Dryheat!"

computer
September 26th, 2002, 06:28 PM
can you do more than one letter

so can i do another one if i wanted???

Marc

estranghero
September 27th, 2002, 12:22 AM
Yup. :)

Pirate Jenn
September 29th, 2002, 12:47 AM
E is for Engronmer- A psyonic weapon used to transmit the sound of bagpipes directly into the minds of the enemy. The weapon was developed for the purposes of cultural preservation in the post-post postmodern era, but forgotten until its re-discovery in 2640 (See L for Loud).

Hereford Eye
September 30th, 2002, 08:50 PM
F is for Finances - a malignant force working against the world's finest authors causing discarded dreams, postponed plans, and enforced absences from the keyboard.

milamber_reborn
October 1st, 2002, 02:22 AM
G is for a gross creature called a Great Blood Beast. It has a great piercing eyes on a grimy green head containing tiny intensly gazing eyes. It has gnashing teeth, a globular stomach and a great sharp tail. It has a glutonous whip-like tongue. It's habitat is a seething, girgling pool or gore. Go ahead and give it a pat.

Forrest
October 1st, 2002, 03:56 AM
H is for Hendle the drawven comedian. He dances, he sings, he entertains; is there anything the mighty Hendle cannot do?

[sing to any random tune]

There once was a woman named Nimble Toe
She sat on a bench with a man named Joe
Along came a dwarf and with laughter they trembled
All hail the antics of the mighty mighty Hendle!