View Full Version : Console vs Computer

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Shef
September 26th, 2002, 02:43 PM
So what do you prefer? Personaly I will stick with my consoles. There is very little that I can't get on them then I would on PC. Plus the exclusive game content is so much better. For example, who in their right minds would rather play a game like Anarchy over Zelda, Mario, Halo, Final Fantasy, Metroid or any other console exclusives? (Yes I know Halo is coming to the PC; too bad it is in the same year that Halo 2 comes out for Xbox! Hah!) and lets face it, who would prefer to be playing a game like Madden on the PC, with either the mouse and keyboard, or the awfully designed Sidwinder controller, while you could be using the comfortable Xbox, Gamecube, or God forbid, PS2 pad. Another selling point IMHO is that of the big PC hits. They all get ported to at least one console. A few examples of this are Ghost Recon, Jedi Outcast, Unreal series, and the soon to be Star Wars Galaxies.

Now online gaming used to be the big selling point for PC games. But coming this November Xbox Live will launch. Bringing such games as Unreal Championship along for the ride. Soon the GC and PS2 will follow and any advantage that the PC had will dissapate. Now I enjoy PC games and am not trying to sound like a console oriented fan boy (I get kicks with the Warcraft series, Worms World Party, and several RTS games) but I usual prefer to stick with my GC or Xbox, if you get my drift. So I reiterate: which do you prefer and why?

kahnovitch
September 26th, 2002, 03:13 PM
It's the PC for me.
Consoles are good but are restricted by several limitations.

1. No downloadable upgrades like skin/voice packs, extra maps/levels.

2. Strategy games are one of my favourite genres and require an entire keyboard and mouse to operate. Although consoles have in the past sold these peripherals separately, I't s a bit of a rip to have to splash out extra cash for the sake of one or two games.

3. PC's are generally upgradeable (unless you bought a prepackaged one etc) and the graphics and sound cards are constantly improving and games with them e.g. Surround sound environments and advanced graphics texture and lighting in newer games. Consoles are (for the most part) a fixed chipset.

4. Most games on consoles are on PC, but not vice-versa. PC's have a better and more diverse selection.

In the favour of consoles though they are a cheaper one-off purchase in the sense that they are all you need to play them (other than a TV). A good PC will set you back 1000 easily.

Shef
September 26th, 2002, 05:21 PM
Alright in conterpoint to you my barbarion friend.

1. With the Xbox's 8 gig hardd rive and the add on 40 gig PS2 hard drive there has been promised such things as extra levels and character skins.

2. Well since the PS2 has two usb connections you can use your regular old keyboard to play the games. Of course there aren't many rts games for consoles. But what about FPS shooters like Halo, and the hundreds of car combat, action/rpg/adventure/, and platformers that the PC sorely lacks?

3. So your saying that your willing to shell out 200-300 bucks for a new graphics card every few years? by then the newest most up to date video game system would be on the market for similar price. Plus your Computer will eventually become to outdated to upgrade and you'll have to shell out another 1000 some odd for something new. Where as consoles are much cheaper. (as you yourself point out.)

4. I think you got it all wrong here. The vast majority of games stick to consoles first. Such major publishers like, Capcom, Konami, Namco, and basicly all of of the Japanese developers, go near exclusive to consoles while all first and second parties are completly exclusive to a specific console. And as I said before, those publishers that decide to focus on PC port there games over to consoles (such as Ghost Recon) with new features.

Oh how I love to have a good PC vs Console convesation. :D :)

DarthV
September 26th, 2002, 05:27 PM
I don't think there is any comparison between the depth of PC games compared to ones on consoles. Consoles are all right if you have a bunch of friends over drinking beer... but I won't be spending my money on one anytime in the forseable future.

What really ticks me off is all the BS from Microsoft buying up game developpers like crazy... I remember drooling over Halo...until MS bought Bungie... I've noticed that Midtown Madness 3 is on the Xbox calendar for next year...no sign of the PC version... great...

Other reasons to like PC Games:

Online play - 'nuff said
Patches & Fixes
Mods & Extras
Mouse and Keyboard for controls! well for most games anyways.
Flight Sticks!

Shef:

There are some very nice gamepads out for the PC. And my PC blows the doors off of modern consoles for raw game-playing horsepower.

Miriamele
September 26th, 2002, 11:54 PM
I must admit I've spent countless hours playing Final Fantasy on our Playstation...but although there are lots of fun games for consoles, if I had to stick to just one I'd go with PC games for sure. I really like complex simulation games (like Roller Coaster Tycoon :D ) and they just aren't made for consoles.

Like Darth V said though, consoles are great for social situations. It's too hard to fit everybody in front of a computer, the couch works much better...

Valada
September 27th, 2002, 02:44 AM
What about both? Basically, it's different things for different situations. Consoles are the best for (i) social things, and (ii) kicking back and vegging out after work. Whereas PCs are great for more in-depth games that work on more levels or with greater complexity. So really, it depends on mood!

kegasaurus
September 27th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Sport games on th econsole, others on the pc

saintjon
September 27th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Shef
while you could be using the comfortable Xbox, Gamecube, or God forbid, PS2 pad.

Are you crazy Shef? The Xbox controller is friggin brutal. It's like some kind of mutant basketball with analogues and D-pads jutting out in the most unlikely places. The thing makes as much sense as tits on a duck (or penguin).

Also, PS2's online already. My buddy Jeff has it at his house.

Also, your statement of replacing your video card every three years is kind of moot, Bill Gates has said himself that there isn't going to be much hardware development for awhile, as the big focus is on software.

I for one, am probably going to pass on the current round of consoles, I just bought a kickass computer. If I find myself a few bucks ahead though, I may get a GameCube (best controller

saintjon
September 27th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Shef
while you could be using the comfortable Xbox, Gamecube, or God forbid, PS2 pad.

Are you crazy Shef? The Xbox controller is friggin brutal. It's like some kind of mutant basketball with analogues and D-pads jutting out in the most unlikely places. The thing makes as much sense as tits on a duck (or penguin).

Also, PS2's online already. My buddy Jeff has it at his house.

Also, your statement of replacing your video card every three years is kind of moot, Bill Gates has said himself that there isn't going to be much hardware development for awhile, as the big focus is on software.

I for one, am probably going to pass on the current round of consoles, I just bought a kickass computer. If I find myself a few hundred bucks ahead though, I may get a GameCube (best controller EVER!!!).

Nero
September 27th, 2002, 09:36 PM
*cough* Gamecube *cough*

Man I love my Cube. Ok, it might not have the most mature or bloody or sexual games in the market, but those games are a helluva lot of fun! I mean, I could spend hours playing Super Monkey Ball 2 (damn that tennis is fun), or shooting Tie Fighters in my X-Wing, or squirting enemies in Mario Sunshine, or racing around in circle in Sonic and seeing how fast I can run, or chucking bombs at my friends in Bomberman, or swinging through the rooftops in Spiderman, or beating on Peach in Super Smash Bros., or digging in Animal Crossing.

ANIMAL CROSSING!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOODNESS GOD GRACIOUSNESS. THAT GAME IS THE BEST GAME IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!!!!!!!!

Ya it really is. This is how the game goes:

1) You pick your name and town.

2) You move in and talk to your animal friends.

3) You pay off the rent for your house and get items and run errands and knit and play your NES and fish and catch bugs and compete in sports and decorate your house and write letters and go on vacations and dig and walk around in circles and and and and and and and and........... Ya you get the picture.

And I just can't wait to get Star Fox and Metroid Prime and Zelda (woooooot) and Wario World and Mario Party 4 (WOOOOOOOT) and Timesplitters 2 and IT'S GOD-HILLA!!!!!! RUUUUUUUUUN! and Medal of Honor and Army Men and Tony Hawk 4 and F-Zero and Galleon and Mario Golf and Mario Tennis and The Hobbit and Phantasy Star ONLINE and Star Wars Bounty Hunter, Clone Wars, Jedi Outcast and Rayman and James Bond and Haven and Vexx and The Lord of the Rings and Resident Evil!!!!!!!!!

So have I convinced any of you non-believers of Nintendo?