PDA

View Full Version : Why do you write?!!!!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Brid14
October 1st, 2002, 07:03 AM
Hi.

I am wondering why some people just HAVE to write. Why do you get this compulsion to write, to tell a story?

Fx. I write because the stories I tell are a part of me. You have your everyday person - the person that your friends and family know and love and have fun with.
But apart from that there's another YOU. For me it's my imagination - the characters in my stories - I think they're all a bit of me or what I want to be, personalities I admire or pity or can relate to. The environments and places in my stories reflect me as well - places I wish existed, places I want to visit, places of adventure and excitement, intrigue, mystery, beauty, joy and sadness. All these things - everything in the stories I write is a part of my personality - a subtler part.

Is it like that for you? Or do you think it's something completely different?

Please write and state your opnions.

milamber_reborn
October 2nd, 2002, 01:34 AM
I write because I want it be a full-time career, because it is fun, because recent feedback has confirmed that I'm good at it. It would be an empty life without reading and writing.

Holbrook
October 2nd, 2002, 01:55 AM
Because I am mad:eek:

Seriously, I think you have to be slightly insane, to expose part of yourself in writing. And that is what you do when you put words on a page.

To allow others to rip it apart, to abuse this "child " you have created

To watch the rejection letters come thorugh the door and still continue.

You either give up, or get your head down and plough on....

Sometimes I wonder why I do it, especially when I want to write but have to work. When I am feeling too ill to do more than look at the screen on the machine. When even lifting a piece of paper is too much effort. It hurts inside like hell!! (sorry mods).

Chr1sto
October 2nd, 2002, 02:14 AM
Good question. I write because I have these visions of the world I'm playing with at any given time, to the extent of thinking about the world and characters just before falling asleep at night. Maybe this sounds slightly insane - could be that all writers have a bit of madness in them. In my case it is even worse - I'm not even writing in my first language (If anyone wants to rip me off - I have two stories posted on this site. One really bad one, and an okay one. Look under Goosen)
Maybe we just have an urge to create. You are absolutely in control of your world, and you can make anything happen in it. And we just choose to let the rest of the world share in our vision, because it would be a shame to let a world go to waste. Even if you achieve no success with your stories, maybe someone reads them and gets an idea that leads to something great. Anything can happen.
Or maybe I just need some sleep...?

Kirby
October 2nd, 2002, 02:37 AM
I write because my characters cannot.

;) (My physical presence is needed for pencil holding!)

user123
October 2nd, 2002, 03:33 AM
I do it because I enjoy it, setting my character out on the road that in the end will make them better. Also, causing them trouble and making their live hell can be fun to, at least for my darker self its fun:D

Aik Haw
October 2nd, 2002, 03:43 AM
To tell the stories my mind dreams of, to open my heart into visible form, to share my tales with others :)

Bardos
October 2nd, 2002, 04:24 AM
The most difficult question of all time, I'd say! :)

It's like asking why, do you live? I dunno... I just live. Sometimes, I want to write more than I want to live!

I just write.

Yes, I know it sound crazy, but what the heck...? It is!! :D

Bardos
The Mad One

Brid14
October 2nd, 2002, 07:28 AM
Your answers are interesting. I think we all are slightly loose in the head - but it's not that bad, actually.

To commit yourself to writing, when the chances are you won't get published or at least, not many people will ever know that you even exist, has gotta to be the act of someone whose mad, or just foolhardy.

But keep it up - in a way, it pays for itself, even though the only ones who ever hear it is your trusted friends. ("Oh, it's wonderful!" Note sarcasm)

;) :p :)

kahnovitch
October 2nd, 2002, 08:11 AM
I write because no one else writes the sort of things I want to read (most of the time).
I get an idea and think to myself "Why the Hell hasn't anyone written a book about that?"
Then I think "Wait-a-minute! I could write it myself! Yes! It's so simple!"
Then I find out that my ideas could possibly scare people, and maybe I'm the only one cynical enough to enjoy my dark philosophies and imaginings.

:mad: :eek: :mad: