View Full Version : Reading in October!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Stor-All
October 20th, 2002, 08:46 PM
I've finished The Fellowship of the Ring so far, and am currently reading Guards!Guards! by Terry Pratchett. I would have liked to have finished it this weekend, however my mom left it at school when I gave it to her so I've been without it the entire weekend. After I finish that, I hope to have my hands on Lord Foul's Bane for the Book Club.

Ingram
October 21st, 2002, 03:01 AM
After coming out of a 3 month 'Not reading phase' I'm finally finishing off "The Bakers Boy". I don't know if I will read the second book after it or read something else, I have so many books to read its not funny.

I really wanna read "The Crippled Angel" mainly so I can knock of another series that I have completed on the list.

Cannon Fodder
October 21st, 2002, 07:31 AM
Just finished Shogun by James Clavell. Good read, the kind of historical novel should appeal to the reader of fantasy.

I've just started on The Scar by China Mieville (I was suprised to see from the author picture inside the back cover China Mieville was a man). So far, so good.

Kingslayer
October 21st, 2002, 09:54 AM
Reading Wuthering Heights for coursework and actually looking forward to it :)

DrBloodmoney1
October 21st, 2002, 12:57 PM
I just finished The Scar by China Mieville. After Perdido Street Station, I did not think he would be able to produce another engaging, and creative novel in such a short amount of time. Mieville proved me wrong, however, much to my delight. I will shamelessly admit being on the proverbial bandwagon with both ass cheeks now. He has now been placed on my "buy on sight" list. I just wish they would put his future works out in hardback, because I don't want to be shafted 19 dollars for a paperback. (Not his fault, so I won't hold it against him).

I am currently reading Red and Black by Stendhal. It depends on your definition of fantasy; most wouldn't consider this fantasy. I, however, consider it fantastic to me. Life in 1830 in provincial France is wholly unreal to me. Yes, I know it portrays life as it really happened back then, but my brain won't process the plot and characters and setting without disabling the real vs. unreal sensory equipment. *This is why I tell people I am reading fantasy when I read Dickens, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy and Proust (and to see their reaction when they find out the author)*

I am planning on starting A Game of Thrones next, and fully expect to be disappointed after the inordinate amount of hype that series receives. I'll keep you updated. DrB

Sammie
October 21st, 2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by DrBloodmoney1
I just finished The Scar by China Mieville. After Perdido Street Station, I did not think he would be able to produce another engaging, and creative novel in such a short amount of time. Mieville proved me wrong, however, much to my delight. I will shamelessly admit being on the proverbial bandwagon with both ass cheeks now. He has now been placed on my "buy on sight" list. I just wish they would put his future works out in hardback, because I don't want to be shafted 19 dollars for a paperback. (Not his fault, so I won't hold it against him).

The Scar came out in hardback in the Uk....

Sammie
October 21st, 2002, 03:25 PM
Still wending my way through Legend. Getting better...no longer regret telling J i would read it :).

WoT has been put to one side for the weekends only - simply because it doesn't fit in my bag!! (although it IS a little sloooooow atm, too :()

Shehzad
October 21st, 2002, 11:48 PM
Will probably start Sailing to Sarantium today, and am looking forward to it.

DarthV
October 22nd, 2002, 09:24 AM
I finished The Golden Compass last night. I was surprised at how dark it was for a young adult book! It was also more complicated than I was expecting... definitely worth the time!

Now on to The Subtle Knife.

Nero
October 22nd, 2002, 03:39 PM
Hey Darth that series is great. I thought the third and final book in the series was fabulous, while The Subtle Knife wasn't the best. I think you'll enjoy that series alot, even if they may be a bit easy to read.