SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13

Sammie
October 22nd, 2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Shehzad
Will probably start Sailing to Sarantium today, and am looking forward to it.

Am waiting for this to come out with a pretty new cover, to match my "Lions of Al'Rassan" and "A Song for Arbonne".......:)

(Put "Lions" down a little while ago - not even sure why, cos was enjoying it - and STILL haven't finished, as consequence!)

saintjon
October 22nd, 2002, 06:21 PM
Hey Cannon Fodder I love Shogun. If you liked it definitely check out Tai-pan.

Shehzad
October 22nd, 2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Sammie

Am waiting for this to come out with a pretty new cover, to match my "Lions of Al'Rassan" and "A Song for Arbonne".......:)

(Put "Lions" down a little while ago - not even sure why, cos was enjoying it - and STILL haven't finished, as consequence!)

Did you like Sailing?

e-Morgana
October 22nd, 2002, 10:56 PM
Did you like Sailing?
Yeah....ditto........??

I found I didn't like the Sarantine Mosaic anywhere near as much as the rest of his stuff. Can't really explain why - it just didn't appeal to me. I don't think I particularly liked, or cared about, the main character - ? Casper?

(See......can't even remember his name)

Shehzad
October 22nd, 2002, 11:33 PM
I assume you liked The Fionavar Tapestry

estranghero
October 23rd, 2002, 01:15 AM
I found I didn't like the Sarantine Mosaic anywhere near as much as the rest of his stuff. Can't really explain why - it just didn't appeal to me. I don't think I particularly liked, or cared about, the main character - ? Casper?

Me too. ;) Though my SO loved it over all of GGK's books, including "Fionavar Tapestry" (another miss for me).

Am waiting for this to come out with a pretty new cover, to match my "Lions of Al'Rassan" and "A Song for Arbonne".......

Really, who's the artist?

milamber_reborn
October 23rd, 2002, 04:25 AM
Reading Fighting Fantasy still.
Started Feist's Murder In LaMut.
Then I'll start Martin.

Mithfânion
October 23rd, 2002, 08:22 AM
Just finished Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb

Pretty good first book in this trilogy. Hints at a lot of things to come, but of course I already knew that since I've read both Farseer and Tawny man before it, which is not really the right order. I'm particularly interested in the dragon aspect with this trilogy, because that will become important later on, and Hobb is handling it very nicely in this first book.

I'm also very fond of Paragon, the mad liveship, easily my favorite character from the series sofar. Amber is an enigmatic and very sensitive character, she's good as well. The story revolving Althea and Brashen fails to capture my interest and I almost found myself skipping their pages. The scenes regarding the three Vestrit women at home (Ronica, Keffria and Malta) are ok, but not spectacular. Which leaves Wintrow's storyline aboard the Vivacia, which is quite good because the attitude towards him remains so very cruel. I'm also pleasantly surprised by the concept (and humanity) of the Liveships.

All in all there's still much to develop, and I'll be reading book two soon. I have to add that the books don't draw you in the way the Farseer trilogy do, and I also think that series attains a higher level overall, if only it were because the great lead, Fitz Chivalry (of course there's more to it than that). But these books are still above average. I give the first one 7,5 out of 10.

Sammie
October 23rd, 2002, 08:46 AM

Did you like Sailing?

Errr.............havn't read it, cos am waiting for it to look prettier before i pay for it........although in view of these comments i will also wait until you tell me if I'll like it :)

DarthV
October 23rd, 2002, 09:05 AM
Nero:

I probably won't get to the 3rd book until after I'm finished with November's Book Club selection. Then again if I get all day saturday to read, I'll probably get to book 3.