View Full Version : Reading in October!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Hobbit
October 5th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Alle - be careful with Golden Witchbreed. It is very different to Ash - quite slow and put many people off reading more of her work. I read it in the 80's when it came out, thought it was OK but a bit slow, rather reminiscient of CJ Cherryh but not as good.

It was her first published work.

Didn't try any more of her stuff until Ash - which was a different thing altogether.

Hobbit

(As for the Golden Fool thing, having just read the message, I would hope that either Robin Hobb would tell us, OR the page numbers will show us, and someone will point it out in due time. Alternatively, the copies with missing pages MAY be worth something in time, so if you get one and can cope with the annoyance of getting another, it might be worth hanging onto).

Mithfânion
October 5th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Read the Dutch edition of Golden Fool, which does have all the chapters, and it was fantastic. Best book I've read this year, which is telling, because I really liked the Fionavar tapestry. But I've got a real strong connection to Hobb's books, and this one was better than Fool's errand.

And the stuff it sets up for the next book is unbelievable. On the other hand that is also a small downside of GF, it sets up a lot but...

I've started reading the Liveships book, now halfway through Ship of Magic. I had my doubts about reading these, but they are certainly interesting. Not quite the same impact as Fitz's story, but the Liveships, particularly Paragon, are very cool. And this book reads much faster for me, faster not just than Farseer, but just about every other Fantasy book I ever read. I hope Kyle gets the axe soon :mad:

ChrisW
October 5th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Ah but you spoilt it for yourself by reading FE and GF before them.
You already know who Amber is and who lives and dies.

I agree with you about GE though. Pretty good for a set up book.

Draxinusom
October 5th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Well I'm off for a week sailing in Sicillia, Italy soon, so I went to the bookstore trying to find a decent read to follow up MST.

Of course as a good loyal citizen of SFF-World I first skimmed through the recommendation threads and picked up some names.

Of course they hadn't any of those there or not the first volume.. grrr And I didn't want to order anything because by my luck it would arrive one day after my departure.

So I stood a long time before the shelves and my hand hovered over some books I faintly remembered the name mentioned but didn't knew any longer if it was recommended or not.

The ill-made mute and Barclay's X-thief books lost due to me not remembering. Of all the recommendations I remembered, they had of course exactly those series that are incompleted which I don't touch. I could have gotten WoT or ASoFaI but nothing of the series I wrote down.

Well I finally bought Book one of Robin Hobb's Liveship traders though I haven't begun reading it yet. I will on the way down to Italy and on the boat though. The final push towards that book was probably the recommendations in this forum and the fact that I rather liked the cover and name of the book considering I will be reading it on a boat myself :D

Mithfânion
October 5th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Ah but you spoilt it for yourself by reading FE and GF before them.
You already know who Amber is and who lives and dies.

Well that's only partially true Cal. Yes I already know a lot of spoilers, but not because I read Fool's Errand and Golden Fool but rather from the Net. FE and GF don't really spoil that much from Liveship.
Secondly, I'm reading the books now, and knowing what I do, I still find them very enjoyable, good reads. But at this point I have no idea what will happen to for instance Malta, Paragon, Vivacia, Althea etc.

Lani
October 5th, 2002, 09:40 PM
I went into another classics fit and now reading "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott, which is kinda touching. I'm also planning to read JVJ's A Man Betrayed (second book from the Book of Words) and I also got Infinity Beach by Jack McDevitt since a friend of mine kept reccomending it. It should all be pretty good.

milamber_reborn
October 7th, 2002, 01:18 AM
I'm reading/playing Fighting Fantasy books and reading PC Powerplay mags. I really should start reading a new series.

Rooster
October 7th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Zindell's The Lightstone was pretty good, though it lost it's momentum from time to time. Now reading May's The Saga of the Pliocene Exile, just began The Nonborn King and I'm really liking it thus far. Lacking The Adversary I would've started Golden Fool but sadly (and unbelievably) it seems a no go.

DarthV
October 7th, 2002, 11:06 PM
Just finished off The Grand Design this evening... you have to love chemical weapons and people driven on paths of vengeance!

Mithfânion
October 8th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Rooster, rare to find someone who's read Zindell's books, let alone his Fantasy work.

What did and didn't you like?