View Full Version : Reading in October!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

ezchaos
October 9th, 2002, 02:20 PM
I was at the library the other day and on a whim, I checked out LeGuin's Tehanu, The Other Wind, & Tales of Earthsea. A few years ago, I tried reading Tehanu, but got bogged down with the 'women's issues' theme and didn't finish it. This time I did finish it, and for some reason it was much more enjoyable. So, now I'll try reading the other two books.

fortytwo
October 9th, 2002, 05:25 PM
I'm just about to get my teeth into To Green Angel Tower Part1.
I was interested to read a note by the publishers why book 3 of the trilogy was published in 2 parts.
Their decision was based on the fact that one book would have meant they "would have had to sacrifice our standards of high quality publishing"
A cynic might say "and get £12 instead of £6".
Actually though in this case I have to agree with them-1600+ pages in a paperback would be incredibly unwieldly and probably the quality would suffer too.

Danen Wolflord
October 9th, 2002, 10:38 PM
I'm reading the Sword of Truth series again (I'm broke and its there) its actually quite interesting to read it agian and pick up on the things I missed the first time.

ookey
October 10th, 2002, 01:51 PM
I'm in the middle of King's The Shining . Man, it's creepy but it's so good.

Valada
October 10th, 2002, 10:41 PM
I'm finally getting around to reading Feist's Magician series - I'm a few chapters into the first book, and enjoying his style so far. It may take a little longer to get into the characters, though, but I've seen nothing to turn me off this series yet! Hoping it will be a great one!

Rooster
October 11th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Finished The Nonborn King, really good.

Not sure what to start now, Cosmicomics maybe...

Mithfânion, well it's some time already but I didn't like certain things, like the battles outcome, the weird empathy (e.g. Alphanderry sleeping on watch scene). And at times it was a tad slow. Otherwise I liked it.

I presume you've read Neverness and A Requiem for Homo Sapiens, what are they like?

Rob B
October 11th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Last week or two my reading has consisted of:
The Litany of the Long Sun (Omnibus of Nightside & Lake of the Long Sun) by Gene Wolfe-
This was my second go at these books and I am VERY happy I decided to give them a second try. Very good stuff here, questions of religion, belief, and blurred lines of perception.

Books 2-4 of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events after many recommendations from the Wife. Very good stuff here, dark humour. I expected them to be a bit of a letdown, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Right now I'm about halfway through Guards!Guards by Pratchett. Not too bad, some good dashes of humor, some of it falls flat, too.

jfaustus
October 11th, 2002, 03:20 PM
I just picked up Perdido Street Station -- at a bookshop in Grand Central Station no less -- and am very excited. Can't wait to start reading!!!

chocky
October 11th, 2002, 06:22 PM
I went to the book store to buy Enchanter by Sara Douglass but ended up buying Jackal of Nar by John Marcos. I don't know what I weas thinking starting a new series with so many others on the go right now. Now I still have to go back to buy Enchanter and Starman. Plus, I want to read The Black Rood, the second book in Stephen Lawheads Celtic Crusade series. Oh well, maybe I can get those when I go to buy the reat of Tyrants and Kings. The To Read pile never gets any smaller does it?

LegolasJon
October 11th, 2002, 09:23 PM
I'm reading the Once and Future KIng by T.H. White.