New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13

Nero
October 15th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Sorry Sammie. :(

Sammie
October 15th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Oh no, don't be!!!

Like i said - TOTALLY my own fault - the spoiler warnings were right there!!

:(

milamber_reborn
October 16th, 2002, 01:30 AM
I think it's bad enough what they write on the back cover. Tells you the first half at least.

Sammie
October 16th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by milamber_reborn
I think it's bad enough what they write on the back cover. Tells you the first half at least.

Yeah!! And i read the Amazon blurb/review-thingy for the 10th WoT and....well if u haven't finished books 1-9, DON'T read it - it's the world BIGGEST EVER spoiler. Wins a prize, i think! I actually emailed them and made a fuss. Needless to say, they removed it straight away............not!!

(sorry, rant over!)

saintjon
October 16th, 2002, 09:31 AM
I'm reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe and laughing my bum off ;).

Which one was Jaichim Carridin again? :confused:

Nevyn
October 16th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Jachim Carridin =" An inquisitor for the Hand of the Light a high officer for The Children of the Light" (Whitecloaks)

cgw
October 16th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Just finished A Canticle for Leibowitz. Am starting The Wizard at Mecq by Shelley.

elpa
October 16th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Barbed Coil = done.

Richard Adams' "Maia" comin up.

Nero
October 16th, 2002, 06:14 PM
SLIGHT SPOILERS

SLIGHT SPOILERS

SLIGHT SPOILERS

SLIGHT SPOILERS

Well I have to say that PoD is improving. The stuff with Egwene is EXTREMELY boring, along with the Nynaeve and Elayne storylines. My favorite imo are Rand's and Mat's. By the way, where is Mat??? I'd just like to know if he comes back in Winter's Heart. Perrin is ok, I guess.
For some reason the most exciting parts are when the pov changes to the Forsaken, such as Graendal and Moridin (who the hell is he?) and Moghedien and Cyndane and all that good stuff. I don't know why, but it's just more.... creepy. :cool: :D

I don't know why, but I'm addicted to the reviews of the Wheel of Time books right now. For some reason I read almost all 1927 book reviews of PoD on Amazon.com. They're just entertaining and sometimes I feel like I agree with people. I hate it when they give away what happens........

Bond
October 17th, 2002, 08:16 AM
So you've gone through the amazon.com reviews too eh? Here's my favorite, a review of Winter's Heart but with spoilers only for those who have not read up to A Crown of Swords. Encapsulates my feeling towards Elayne pretty well :)

*POTENTIAL SPOILERS for those who have not finished A
Crown of Swords*

At last, Elayne is tramped to death by Bela!
May 3, 2001
Reviewer: liffey (see more about me) from Texstralia

Dang, not really, but you might be so ready to see her killed off that you start scribbling your own alternate version of the story in the margins.

But before the criticism, the praise. (Or is it better the other way
around? I forget.) I know I'm not alone in thinking that the last few books in the series were getting in that dangerous zone of being interesting to people who have fallen in love with Randland, but utterly slow and boring to anyone who hasn't. You might ask why anyone who wasn't in love with the Wheel of Time books would have read as far as the latest books anyway, but my point is that even though the storylines in those books shouldn't have to stand on their own, the pacing and action should. I, being a fan, have enjoyed each and every book in the
series, but have to admit I was getting tired of waiting through moves on the chessboard just to get things in place for future books.

Winter's Heart is our reward for sticking it through. I don't want to
give away spoilers, although the official review on this site already
does a pretty good job - grrr. WH moves several storylines with a big shove, provides the filling out of several characters (Cadsuane and Verin come to mind), and offers a masterpiece ending battle in a form we've not seen so far. The final result is that the reader has been as positioned as carefully as the characters, and we too are now in thick of and poised for even greater things.

Oh, let's face it, the return of Mat Cauthon is enough of a reason to read. Finally a little sense and humour is knocked back into life on this side of the Spine of the World. So what if Rand has become a machine and Perrin a consort, we have Matrim.

A little sense, that is, but not enough. (Here comes the criticism.) I
seem to be one of the few people who never really minded Elayne. She was a bit of a naive priss sometimes, but her heart was in the right place. But by the end of WH, I would have been just fine with her brutal death, preferably by a torch-bearing Two Rivers mob, as she smooths her dress, sniffs, and upon her last moments of consciousness gains a look of understanding in her eyes which says, "Oh, perhaps the lines on that map of Andor *are* a little outdated..."

And take down Aviendha too. She was once my favourite female character, but I'm afraid she now bears the taint. The bosom-huffing, conveniently misunderstanding, foot-stamping taint of Elayne, that is. A near-ditto for the whipped Birgitte. Sigh.

As for the other girly-girls, Nynaeve is still besotted with new husband Lan, which has not improved her obsessive-compulsive braid tugging whatsoever, and Egwene is away for most of the book apparently turning into a rather boring corporate Amyrlin, as opposed to bringing her own spunky personality to the position.

Do I have any other complaints about a book I only wish I had the skill to write? Well, although several characters were developed further and got off their collective behinds, few loose ends from previous books were tied up.

Which was fine with me. With Winter's Heart things are rolling again, and I'll happily look forward to more of the same. Maybe not another nine books, but that's negotiable if we can seal Elayne in the bore.