View Full Version : Unusual short SF/F story

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

touchwood
July 19th, 2001, 06:46 PM
Can anyone identify the following short story, it's some 45 years old:
Man today dies. Woman in future manufactures Playmen from recycled organs to serve her every wish. Man's mind transfers to her latest playman and has to contend with new existence. He has to 'create' stuff at a factory for her and if she tires of him he will be recycled.
Anyone remember reading it?

voider
July 27th, 2001, 05:57 PM
Sorry Touchwood,dont know that one, but I did at least post you back to let you know someone is at least reading your topic!As for me I deleted mine. So long and good luck.

Cadfael
July 27th, 2001, 07:15 PM
Voider... you make it sound like this topic was just being ignored, but you are wrong. I for one have never heard of anything like this story... thus I have kept my trap (mouth) shut, as I feel the other members have.

But... I do give you full marks for trying to help Touchwood, maybe if he could remember a wee bit more about the story.

voider
July 27th, 2001, 07:39 PM
Ok dennizm all is forgiven I guess i just hate looking at zeros in the post area(not knowing if anyone has read it or not.

touchwood
July 28th, 2001, 12:52 AM
Thanks for comments. A wee bit more? Hmm? The men were 'clone-like', hairless, sort-of effeminate but the body 'perfect'. The women also 'perfect' due to the recycling of 'used' (renovated?) body organs. The women's main reason for these playmen, apart from them 'creating' at the factory was to peform a thing termed 'lovemake'. The playman had a number and when at the 'factory' sat at a 'creation space' thinking things into existence. They got to the factory on a 'rolling road'. The playman slept in a small cubicle that had an aperture at one end the 'recycle' aperture. If he didn't please the woman he would be 'recycled through this, after all, 'she' made him so she would make another one. It was only a short story, sounds a wee bit 'Playboy-ish' but don't think it was in their early mags. Have looked in Playboy archives and thought one story suited but got a lead to a collector who confirmed it wasn't. The story left lots to one's imagination which was 'hormone-driven' at my age (then 15) and the wonderful 'pencil' drawings enhancing the hormone swirl. Now for the ?? part. At 15 years of age my hormones must have dissolved this short to lie dormant until a few years ago when, in diluting, gave up the theme as I decided to attempt scripts. I wrote a filmscript based on this theme not knowing much about copyright etc. I search for the work / author because I do not think it correct to continue to 'try' to market the thing if a lot of it belongs to someone else. I have even got a 'part II' which is totally mine (apart from original basic theme.) and Part II, again is open-ended to lead to a series. I do not know why the theme hasn't been taken up in a film because I think it's an extremely good one. Probably not helpful but offers you reason for my post.

regards & thanks again

touchwood

rcurtis
September 7th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I remember parts of a similar story. A man wakes up after his death. He new he was going to die and had himself frozen to wait for a cure, cancer I think. He was wealthy and expected to be so still. They had not cured his cancer, but instead transfered his being into the body of a convicted criminal whose crime bought him the death penality. Instead of killing the criminal, they 'wiped' him. He was confined to the hospital while physical and mental tests were run to decide if he deserved this body. I do not remember who wrote it, or how it ended.