View Full Version : Writing and music

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Chr1sto
October 3rd, 2002, 02:40 PM
I was reading one of the other threads in this forum, and Sidwynspider asked how you get the creative juices flowing. Now I might be alone in this, but whenever I write I have music playing. It might just be a strange form of plagiarism, but the feelings and energy in many songs help me to get my ideas written down. I'll just sit and stare at the computer screen, with the music going, and that helps my imagination. What I want to know, is do anyone else do this? It cannot be just me. And what sort of music do you listen to, if any?

milamber_reborn
October 4th, 2002, 01:54 AM
I wrote a long novel day in day out listening to music (dance, top 40, R&B). It got me motivated because I was doing something fun at the same time, even though I enjoyed writing. Now, I never listen to music whilst writing. I make less stupid errors for a start and I can't think to write with music playing.

Forrest
October 4th, 2002, 03:59 AM
Sometimes, when my writing gets frustrated, I turn on tunes and the creativity machine starts churning again.:)

Chr1sto
October 4th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Now, the weird thing is, it has to be music I know very well. If I know the music, I don't focus on it, so it's a background thing. It helps with the creativity, because if I get stuck somewhere I just sit back, and let the music help.
Of course, it could just be that I'm a young writer, who has not even completed one novel yet...

Giroth
October 4th, 2002, 02:04 PM
I can focus perfectly while listening to music and writing.
I just listen to the christian rock radio station and it helps:)

Drewby
October 5th, 2002, 04:45 PM
I listen to music almost all of the time when I am writing. It helps insipire me, and come up with ideas I couldn't normally come up with. Sometimes I will turn it off and just stare at a blank word document until I turn on the music.

I find it is helpful to use music I know well if I am motivated to write becuase then it works as a background effect to keep me from getting bored. I like writing, but just pushing keys gets really boring after a while.

If I am not really motivated to write, then I will use songs I don't know that well, like listen to the radio or to internet radio stations (they have more variety). I take a few lines I hear from a song and think of different ways to inerpret it, and I can come up with some really unique ideas just by concentrating on the potential underlying meanings of a few lines of lyrics.

Drew

Drewby
October 5th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Then again, I am also at your spot Chr1sto!

I am only 15, and have not completed any writing besides some crappy short stories and some D&D adventures.

Drew

Traveler
October 6th, 2002, 02:53 AM
I like to listen to my dad's Yanni music when I write. Many of the songs are inspiring. Also, youn should get the Lord of the Rings movie soundtrack.

Chr1sto
October 6th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Well, Drewby - I wonder if the really big names listen to music when they write... Maybe just us?;)
I haven't tried the Internet radio stations yet - should maybe give it a go and see what happens. The LOTR soundtrack sound like a cool idea as well.
Personally I usually llisten to metal, or slow trance/dance music when I write. Depends on what sort of scene I'm working on at the moment. :D

Kirby
October 6th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Movie-scores. (not "from and inspired by" soundtracks.)
:)