View Full Version : broken thumb

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

choppy
October 5th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Hi Gang,

I just wanted to vent some frustrations here. I broke my thumb on monday night playing football (canadian), and I just had surgery to align the bones yesterday. I'm in a huge cast right now which keeps me from typing. It was my right (dominant) hand too. On top of now taking 15 minutes to brush my teeth, writing is very difficult.

Naturally this is when I am experiencing some heavy spurts of inspiration. Arrrgh!

On the up side the doctor said I can expect a full recovery.

Enjoy your opposable thumbs! I miss mine.

James Barclay
October 6th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Get well soon, Choppy!

Is it the thumb on your writing hand you've broken or are you able to at least write notes as well as type very slowly?

Otherwise, if you know a friend with a dictaphone, now might be the time to borrow it...

estranghero
October 6th, 2002, 11:15 PM
Or a tape recorder. I read this one author who traded his typewriter for a recorder so that he could run and dictate his stories all day.

Must be one fit of a writer! ;)

kahnovitch
October 7th, 2002, 07:33 PM
You could try some of that "voice recognition" software that types as you speak.
Although from what I've heard about it you be faster and get less typos, typing with a pencil stuck to your head!

Pirate Jenn
October 9th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Bummer deal. When do they anticipate your recovery, Choppy?

Had to use the tape recorder for a while--it's not too bad. I don't recommend that voice recognition stuff--it's a bloody pain in the arse to use. (Course, modern software's probably different than what we had...)

choppy
October 11th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Thanks guys!

A friend of mine uses the voice software, but apparently it takes about a month before one can get proficient with it. The doctor says I should be moving things around in a couple of weeks - so it's not really worth it.

I'm trying to use this as an opportunity to catch up on some reading.

Cheers!