View Full Version : Oh dear GOD!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Traveler
October 6th, 2002, 03:42 AM
I just got finished watching the old animated version of Lord of the Rings. That movie was by far the WORST movie I have ever seen in my life. I think the orc animations half the time were actual people, just blurred out.

The lines throughtout the movie were often left out or incorrect. The voice actors (with the exception of Frodo, Strider, and Galdalf)were simply horrible. The mannerisms of the characters were often strange and unnatural, and I don't like how they made Samwise look like a effeminate toothless goon.

Gollum was like...weird. Maybe it was good acting...or maybe it was just...weird. One part where he kisses Frodo's feet, he actually sounds like he's aroused. Then, to add insult to injury, the movie didn't even go all the way to the very end, even though it had already skipped halfway through TTT. The Treebeard scene was like two seconds and then they seemed to forget all about him.

It had been my idea to rent the movie and I watched it with my my mom, dad, two brothers, and my two sisters. After it was done everyone looked at me like I was crazy. My mom was like,

"This is the kind of thing you like?"

My, GOD. I'm am so glad PJ redeemed Tolkien, because...DEAR GOD, that was bad. I think PJ actually took the few good elements of that film and put it into his movies. I would recommend it to someone that knew the series very well and wanted a good laugh/cry.

I didn't think movies got that bad. Then again, I don't watch that many.

Funny stuff:

1. Frodo's dance at the prancing pony.

2. Anything Gollum did.

3. The Council of Elrond

4. The way Stridr and Legolas looked.

5. The fact that Gimli was almost as tall as Strider and Legolas.

6. The orcs. Funny stuff.

7. All the stuff they got wrong.

WATCH THAT MOVIE, IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY.

Jack Burton
October 6th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Hey...I kinda liked Bashki's LOTR. I agree it is eons emoved from Jackson's, but I guess I have a certain affinity for the animated LOTR, 'cause I saw it in theaters when it came out and I was 12 or 13 at the time!!!!

Traveler
October 6th, 2002, 05:27 PM
I guess it might be a decent movie thirty years ago and you were a little kid. LMAO.

kahnovitch
October 7th, 2002, 05:01 AM
I remember it well as I also saw it when it came out in the cinema.
The orcs were real actors dressed up and then blended (I use the term loosely!) into the animation.
The animated version was originally meant to be the first in the trilogy, despite the fact that the first installment crossed from "Fellowship" into "Two Towers"
It was/is an old film, but I liked it at the time as,

speaks in old country folk voice...

"We didn't have CGI in them days... all we 'ad was pen and paper, and even that were a luxury!"

SusF
October 7th, 2002, 10:58 AM
That film is what introduced me to Tolkien. I liked it but had NO idea what was going on, so I went to the bookstore and bought the trilogy and was hooked from then on. I re-read those books seven times that summer. I was 16 at the time, if I remember correctly.

I still like the movie, it's nostalgic for me.

Susan

Traveler
October 7th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Heh, I never thought of it that way. I just grabbed it from the viedo store (50 cent rental!) and watched. I couldn't help but think, "What a weird movie."

wolfshead
October 7th, 2002, 04:55 PM
I hated that they made Aragorn look like a cross between Conan and Tonto (with a busted nose) and Boromir was a bleeding Viking. sam's head was like a deformed pumpkin. Worse was the sequel made of THE RETURN OF THE KING. aragorn looked a bit better, but the sequences were all messed up, and we had a 20 minute piece about Sam fantasising about being ruler of the world, and they was a smiling orc waving cheerily...i kid you not...

Traveler
October 7th, 2002, 05:37 PM
I have to see that flick now. LMAO. o_O

Those movies are definitely among the top 50 worst animated movies of all time. It was pathetic the part when Frodo got stabbed by the Wraith and he rode himself all the way across that river. The backround started getting all dark and retarded like the set of an elementary school play. I couldn't even tell what was happening.

saintjon
October 7th, 2002, 08:08 PM
I think that was supposed to be him seeing stuff wraith-style.

lol.

kahnovitch
October 8th, 2002, 01:39 PM
I completely agree with wolfshead about Aragorn's look, but I did like Aragorn's voice done by John Hurt.