View Full Version : Miscasting blunders

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

kahnovitch
October 7th, 2002, 11:56 AM
I thought of this after reading some comments about Highlander and Braveheart. I’m not particularly knocking the films, but I did think it was odd to have a Frenchman (Chris Lambert) playing a Scotsman, and a Scotsman (Good old Sean Connery) playing an Egyptian!
Although Sean has played many bizarre choices (My fave being a Russian submarine commander.).

Basically what films have you seen (any genre) and thought of a particular character.. “Sorry, but that just doesn’t work for me.” and who would you have chosen instead?

Well you get the gist of the thread by now so I’ll open the floor to the forum.....

P.S. this could also include directors who may have made a shoddy job of what should have been an epic. (i'm thinking for example, that Anderson dude and Res Evil)

Jedi
October 7th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Sly as Judge Dredd.

wolfshead
October 7th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Kevin Costner as Robin Hood. dear god, this gimlet eyed weedy bloke with a high pitched American drawl and a hair-weave mullet, masquerading as one of England's greatest's folk heroes...

kahnovitch
October 8th, 2002, 01:34 PM
okay time for a little thread bump.

Jedi, excellent choice, I hated the thought of Stallone as Dredd, but watched it in horror regardless as I'm such a fan of the comic character.
Robin Hood.. too right.

Now what about Batman:

Michael Keaton was great for the "Dark Knight", the right mixture of dark menace suave charm, but the others were badly mis-cast
Val Kilmer was awful IMO and George Clooney has what I call "smiling eyes" he didn't look moody enough.
My choice for a new Batman goes to....

Joachim Phoenix (Commodus from Gladiator). Dark with an air of cool menace about him.

saintjon
October 8th, 2002, 05:08 PM
I see him as more of a Nightwing.

I thought Michael Keaton was too mechanical, dispassionate and geeky to be a proper Batman. Clooney could have been the best (if you don't think he can do moody and menacing check out Dusk till Dawn).

For bad casting ideas, how about Tim Burton wanting Nick Cage to be Superman? Between that and firing Kevin Smith and trashing his script, I have to honestly say Who the Hell Asked Tim Burton to be Involved With a Superman Movie???!!!! (although I like some of his movies a lot)

It's Joel Schumacher who made a complete f(*^-up of the last two Batman flicks.

Also, although Hugh Jackman made a very cool Wolverine, I just wish he were shorter.

kahnovitch
October 8th, 2002, 06:17 PM
True St. Jon and speaking of Wolverine I always thought Sonny Landham? (played Billy in Predator) was made for the part. His is also quite tall though.

Miriamele
October 9th, 2002, 09:44 AM
I definitely agree with the Robin Hood one! Kevin Coster sucks in that role, he's totally wrong for it. The only reason that movie was decent was for everyone else in it. :rolleyes:

I may not be British but I can tell when someone can't do a British accent!

kahnovitch
October 9th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Ahh Miri, you just reminded me of a classic miscast...
Keanu Reeves as Jonathan Harker in Dracula.
Boy, he was bad in that!
I've noticed also that a lot of the time non-english actresses constantly get cast to play english lasses.
I'm thinking
Winina Ryder in Dracula,
Cate Blanchett as Elizabeth the first.
Nicole Kidman in "the Others".
Renee Zellweger as Bridget Jones.
Gwnyth Paltrow in several roles.

No wonder English actresses leave for Hollywood, it's the only way the might get cast in a film set in England.

Jedi
October 9th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Well at least we sent them Liz Hurley as well, I cringed at her destruction of Bedazzled, which in its original, Peter Cooke and Dudley Moore form, is one of the funniest films I have ever seen.

On miscasting, I thought Tank Girl was woefully done, miscast, misdirected, misplaced? I really wanted that film to be good and it sucked. Let us give thanks again to the venerable Mr Jackson for handling our dreams with care. ;)

Canoe Reeves showed in Dracula that he is equally bad in an English accented role as he is an an American one.

kassimir funk
October 9th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Keanu Reaves hasn't fit into a part since bill and ted's excellent adventure!!!

Here's another easy one. Every single character cast into any of Anne Rice's vampire movies... with particular emphasis on Antonio Banderas as Armand.

A little off the subject but.... in the FoTR movie... is Arwen(Liv Tyler) the only brunette elf? Hmmmmmm.......

K-Funk