View Full Version : National Novel Writing Month

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

LaZea
October 8th, 2002, 02:18 PM
I just joined NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) today. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30., starting November 1st. I guess I'm crazy, but so are quite a few other thousands of people.

The ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. You don't really win anything except the statisfaction on completing a novel, I guess. This is the first time that I've done this.

If you want to be insane like me, go to:
http://www.nanowrimo.org

Has anyone else done this before?

helenf
October 23rd, 2002, 05:27 AM
I'm really looking forward to it now. Have been plot-planning like mad. Am very interested to see if I can do it though.

LaZea
October 27th, 2002, 08:34 AM
I've been doing the same. I've done an outline but I don't have any names for my characters yet.

You should also look to see if there's anyone getting together in your area this week. In Houston, there are a few people meeting at Starbucks on Tuesday night.

I have no idea if I could make it through this. That's a WHOLE lot of writing, and I usually just write on the weekend. I've never wrote everyday, though I've been told that's the way you're suppose to do it.

But, this seems preeeeetttyyyy exciting.

LaZea
November 2nd, 2002, 03:24 AM
Well, it's started and I haven't written a word.

I don't know how well I'm going to do on this. ::sigh::

I try to start in a few hours.

helenf
November 2nd, 2002, 07:18 AM
I managed 1,800 yesterday which is okay, as you need to do 1,666 each day over the month to get 50 thou, but I'm worried that I'm already running out of enthusiasum. It's saturday now and I just want to relax and read after a hard week at work. But I will try to persevere for now.

LaZea
November 2nd, 2002, 02:13 PM
Okay. I got 3,734. I tried to make up for Nov 1st and 2nd. It was painful! I estimate that I have to write 10 pages a day to get through this. I don't know.... Writing 20 pages was hell! If you miss any days, how can you catch up? I don't know...

helenf
November 2nd, 2002, 08:06 PM
I'm at 3,300 right now, though I expect to write a few hundred words more before I toddle off to bed, but yes, it's been tough, and having only written a similar amount to yesterday I'm a little peeved as friday I was at work, and I've done pretty much nothing today except laze around. Grrrrrr. Will try more tomorrow. honest.

LaZea
November 4th, 2002, 11:45 AM
I got 30 pages written now. I didn't do my word count, but I'll make sure I'll do it tonight. I guess it's coming along. The real challenge will be during the work week.

Too bad no one else on sffworld is having has much fun as we are... :)

helenf
November 4th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Yeah it's a shame no one else is doing it - we'll just have to keep each other motivated without the extra help :)

I had a very bad day yesterday as a friend came over and I got a miserable 500 words done.

I'm at 5,375 right now, which means I've got another thousandtwohundredodd before I'm back up to my 1666.6 words a day goal. Better crack that whip and get to work.

what's your book called/about?

Mine's The Oracle Bird and it's a complicated fantasy story that I'm too lazy to explain right now.

Jacquesteau
November 5th, 2002, 12:00 PM
LaZea, Helenf --

I just heard about NaNoWriMo at the end of October and didn't have time to plan anything. I'm almost 50,000 words into a different book right now (started in August, and will probably end up near 80,000), and I didn't want to put it on hold for NaNoWriMo... but I told a friend and he signed up.

I'll have to ask how he's doing with it. Apparently he's hooked up with a local writer's group so he has lots of support.

You know, I really admire the two of you for taking on a project like this... especially with a full-time job. Ten pages / day is tough, but doing so after work and on weekends is double-tough. I have to admit, when I heard about it, I got this funny happy feeling in my chest and really wanted to sign up...

There's always next year.

Good luck to both of you. I would love to read your stuff when you're finished. :D :D

Cheers!

R. Barnes