PDA

View Full Version : In Search of a Short Story

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Niltiac
October 10th, 2002, 10:26 PM
Okay, I'm looking for this short story; I do not know the title or the author. I do know that it was in a certain book that had a collection of science fiction short stories, but I don't know the title of that either.

The story is about this guy that visits another planet, and it's inhabited by aliens. This guy talks to the aliens and he asks if Jesus had been there. They replied that He was there about 1500 years ago. So, he moves on to the next planet. He asks the same question, and their reply was about 1000 years ago. Next planet, about 500 years, and so on. And then he finally gets to a planet and they say "Oh, you just missed him! He was here about two years ago."

That's all of the story, I don't know the end of it. Can anybody help? Please?

fortytwo
October 11th, 2002, 10:25 AM
I was waiting for the punchline-it seemed like the beginning of a good joke :)
Sorry to be facetious, I have thought about it and don't remember that story-it's quite a memorable story line though. I'm sure someone will know it here.

Llama
October 11th, 2002, 11:37 AM
It's "The Man" by Ray Bradbury.

fortytwo
October 11th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Because the idea of the story seems interesting when Llama posted the answer I looked it up (I have some Bradbury short story collections ) Some of your recollection of the story is a little faulty but I'm sure it's the one you meant Nlitiac.
Anyway I just wanted to say it appears in The Illustrated Man collection (and possibly others too ).

Niltiac
October 11th, 2002, 10:24 PM
Thanks so much! I've personally never heard of the story, my dad told me about it. He said he read it a loooong time ago, and he'd like to read it again. I also got really interested in it. He forgot the ending, so yeah, lol. Thank you though, again, it was really helpful.

Cadfael
October 12th, 2002, 02:40 AM
I just checked a really old and sorry looking copy of 'The Illustrated Man'... good pick up Fortytwo...

Hey Hobbit!!!! the old puple cover!!!!