View Full Version : Fantasy Villian

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Spawfonk
October 11th, 2002, 09:56 AM
I am stuck at the beginning of my story, because a big city needs to be destroyed by a villian, and i cant think of a force to destroy it. whatever destroys the city will be the antagonist of the story, and its not nessecarily a person. actually I'd like it if it had wasnt human at all. A single entity is what im sorta leaning towards but im totally open to suggestions. hope i haven't been vague. anybody have ideas?

Oh yeah this city is in the middle of a sandy, hot desert.

Bardos
October 11th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Well, perhaps the sands rise and shallow the city, or a very strong earthqueike (sics) happens and ruins it.

But first... you've got to think WHY is there a city in the middle of the desert? What do these people eat?? :rolleyes:

Hereford Eye
October 11th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Long before they worry about eating they're gonna get thirsty! You get a big city in the middle of a sandy desert, I think you got Ozymandias.
Of course, a sandy desert is prone to sand storms that can pretty well ruin anything in their path.

kahnovitch
October 11th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Are you thinking of a force of nature controlled by someone or an actual being to destroy it?

juzzza
October 11th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Hmmm, an omnipotent entity has been done A LOT. Why not have this 'baddie' destroy the city in a sneaky way, like drying up the water supply or poisoning the food/water supply.

If you create such a powerful foe, you also have to create a way to kill the b*stard.

I like the idea of catapulting diseased corpses into the city and drying up the water supply.

Holbrook
October 11th, 2002, 12:34 PM
There is a historical fact I have always wanted to put into a story and never done.

There was a Castle is Central Eurpoe under seige for a long time. The beseiging army had a spy in the castle and he found out the leader of the Castle was a man of regular habits. So the enemy manged to get an archer(crossbowman) into the bottom of the gardrobe (medieval toilet sort of tunnel that runs down the side of the wall) The archer shot, the Lord died, and the Castle surrendered!!!! :D

jfaustus
October 11th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Holbrook-

I seem to remember a strikingly similar scene in Ghost Dog. Sure you're not confusing modern Jersey City with mediaval Europe...? :D

Holbrook
October 11th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Nope, The legend I am told refers to Predjama Castle in Slovenia.

http://www.burger.si/Predjama/SlikaPredjamskiGrad.JPG

But are you saying that Jersey City is medieval???;)

jfaustus
October 11th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Hmmmm. Cool. Maybe Jarmusch knew the story too...

*Hides his face in embarrassment*

Told you so.

Shut UP, Meph!

Just saying-

*After a screech and a few crashes, the sounds of fighting recede
into the distance.*

Pirate Jenn
October 11th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Another old desert trick is to cut down the olive trees, thus ruining industry. Olive trees take seven years to reach maturation, so their loss was always devastating to desert communities. Water supply. Salting feilds. Disease-infected animals.

You might want to study the exploits of Ghenghis Kahn for tactics related to destroying desert cities. :)