PDA

View Full Version : Magic: The Gathering

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

jbcohen
October 16th, 2002, 11:37 AM
I have not heard of anyone talk about Magic: The Gathering (MTG) books. I understand that when you think of MTG you most often think of role playing games. But there are a whole lot of rather excellent novels written that tell the tale behind the games and if you love fantasy novels like I do they make an excellent reads.

There are two generations of MTG novels. The first is out of print but can be obtained from used book stores. These novels were published by Harper-Prism books in the 80s. The first generation MTG novels are:

Arena
Wispering Woods
Shattered Chains
Final Sacrifice
The Cursed Land
The Progical Sorcer
Ashes of Sun
Song of Time
and Peace Shall Sleep
Dark Legacy
Distant Planes
Tapestries

The second-generation novels can be found in most any bookstore and are published by Wizards of the Coast www.wizards.com. A partial list of the second-generation MTG books follows - this is not quite up to date -

The Thran
Artifacts Cycle
- Brothers War
- Planes Walker
- Blood Lines
Ice Age Cycle
- Gathering Dark
- Eternal Ice
- Shattered Alliances
Colors of Magic
Weatherlight Cycle
- Mercadian Masques
- Nemesis
- Prophecy
- Apocalypse
Legends Cycle
- Johan
- Jedit
Odyssey Cycle
- Odyssey
- Torment
- Judgment
Onslaught Cycle
- Onslaught
Legends 2 Cycle

These are all excellent books.

Stor-All
October 16th, 2002, 04:32 PM
I may have to check them out. I used to play MTG with my friends. I absolutely loved that game, so the books may be pretty interesting. Coincidentally: for some reason, there was an abundance of MTG cards on the floor of my school today, throughout the building. I have no idea why...but I did pick a few up and brought them home :D

Eventine
October 16th, 2002, 09:13 PM
I've read Shattered Chains.
It was pretty average...

Pamela
October 17th, 2002, 10:03 AM
What is MTG? I've never heard of it. Game?

Stor-All
October 17th, 2002, 08:39 PM
Yes, it's a card game.

Pamela
October 17th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Thank you Stor-All, makes sence now

jbcohen
October 20th, 2002, 08:06 PM
Let me set the record streight. Magic: The Gathering (MTG) is not just a card game. Although the card games is really the driving force behind the MTG phenomena. MTG is also a series of wonderful fantasy novels that will make you loose sleep at night and wander around the office (or school) thinking about the phyxerian invasion or one of another sort of perils. As for Shattered Chains - that was a first generation MTG book and was not very good in terms of what MTG books can really be. I recommend a read of the MTG Ice Age Cycle book I Brother's War.

Basically the books are written to tell the tale behind the card games. They illuminate the tale that the card games are meant to play out. I have almost all of them and I must tell you that they are a bit addictive. So try it you will like it.

Cadfael
October 21st, 2002, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by jbcohen
Let me set the record streight. Magic: The Gathering (MTG) is not just a card game. Although the card games is really the driving force behind the MTG phenomena. MTG is also a series of wonderful fantasy novels that will make you loose sleep at night and wander around the office (or school) thinking about the phyxerian invasion or one of another sort of perils. As for Shattered Chains - that was a first generation MTG book and was not very good in terms of what MTG books can really be. I recommend a read of the MTG Ice Age Cycle book I Brother's War.

Basically the books are written to tell the tale behind the card games. They illuminate the tale that the card games are meant to play out. I have almost all of them and I must tell you that they are a bit addictive. So try it you will like it.

Thankyou JBC.... I was about to move this to the games section... I see I would have been wrong....