View Full Version : writing/career progress - October

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

manticore
October 21st, 2002, 07:50 AM
hello everyone. am in london now, swamped with studying assignments. will start posting on the GD board and meeting up with you guys as soon as i possibly can.

but this one is for the writing board. like we had the reading lists for the fantasy forum, i thought id set up a Writing Progress This month thread

So what progress have you made towards being a superstar writer this month?

Me: None on the writing front, havent written for months now. got another rejection, sent my novel out to 3 more publishers and 3 more agents. lets see

Solaar
October 21st, 2002, 08:06 AM
Manticore - good luck with the novel. What's it about?

My own progress? Ahhhh... a chance to indulge everyone in my successes...

...if I had any.

Havent sent any writing off for around 6 years (!), back when I was getting paid for it!

However, am back in the flow and over 100 pages into a horror novel which will revolutionise the genre and the world.

Probably.

Solaar
probably the greatest writer in the world.

Holbrook
October 21st, 2002, 01:11 PM
Hmmm...... got a manuscript out at four publishers...

One has had it since the end of August... that is about two weeks longer than it took them to reject the last one.

One in Canada, since the middle of September, this too was rejected within a month, but after a bit of e.mail converstation.... nothing from them....

Two in the States, again since the middle of September.... again one of these rejected the last one almost by return of post!!!

This is all slightly worrying...

for either the manuscripts have got lost in the post....

been binned....

the slush pile is bigger than usual (Early Christmas rush:D )

or...... nope...... don't think so......

But I can dream can't I........

Pirate Jenn
October 21st, 2002, 11:38 PM
Everything is back home, rejected right now--waiting for my next weekday in the States to mail them.

Writing-wise. making progress on Scary First Novel Editting procees (not really sure what I'm doing, some days). Turned in Scary Writing Portfolio for approval of graduate thesis proposal(crossing fingers). Convinced (miraculously) a prof to give me a guided study in order to polish/idea-check/edit my book. I also wrote my first book synopsis...which means that, when I get down to the post office, I'll start sending the book around. Eek.

Jacquesteau
October 22nd, 2002, 12:36 AM
I've been working on a book (novel? novella?) for a couple of months now -- started back in July -- sadly, it's not sci-fi/fantasy. More contemporary fiction/humor. I'm about 200 pages into it, and it was going pretty well up until about two weeks ago, then I hit a slow-down period because things got freakishly busy at work...

It's tough to get back into it when you take time off. I'm still working on it, and if I can get the flow back, I expect a first draft done sometime before the end of the year. My other two books are on hiatus for now -- about five chapters into each of them... waiting until I finish this one.

I haven't sent anything out for almost three years. I put together a collection of 18 sci-fi short stories with a friend of mine set in a coffee shop (two of which are posted on the site) -- got two bites -- one vanity press, and one publishing house in New York, but after they saw the full manuscript, we got another rejection, so I broke up the collection and have been working on the stories individually.

Cheers,

R. Barnes

milamber_reborn
October 22nd, 2002, 12:49 AM
Getting my short stories critiqued - good feedback thus far.

Writing a short story every two weeks.

Got one of them in the Writers Of The Future Contest, so hopefully they'll recognise talent when they see it. ;)

helenf
October 23rd, 2002, 05:39 AM
I'm going to attempt NaNoWriMo (www.nanowrimo.org) in November so I'm preparing for that at the moment. And although they encourage quantity rather than quality I want to do something that is at least a decent first draft.

Am about to send off short story after editing.

Pirate Jenn
October 24th, 2002, 02:44 AM
Good luck with that. :) Should be intense.

Proud of you for producing so many shorts, Milamber. best of success to you for the WotF contest. :)

Good writing day today. Major plot breakthroughs, detail-hammering, etc (huzzah!). Just couldn't shut off the creative juices or brain. Baked bread just to give my fingers a rest, but my mind wouldn't shut up (very annying ;) --this is me not complaining). Time to sleep, now (if I can. ::biting nails:: )

Holbrook
October 24th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Had another of those "editor" letters.... and I quote:

"I think this does have considerable merit..... but I do not feel it is right for our list......."

Scratch the British Publisher.......:(

Solaar
October 24th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Hold tight, Holbrook. Keep plugging away. Act like its the woman you want...

...keep persisting and eventually she'll give up tjust to shut you up.

Or something.

God luck Holbrook - I hope you make it despite my bad advice.

Solaar
thumbs up