View Full Version : Dr. Who

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

chocky
October 22nd, 2002, 12:37 AM
I've always been a fan of Dr. Who. Not a die hard fan but I've always enjoyed it. Except when I was really young and the theme music scared the hell out of me. My favourite Dr. was Tom Baker(?). I think they could make a decent movie out of Dr. Who, unless they try and americanize it.
Do you think they should?
Who would make the ideal Dr?

Jacquin
October 22nd, 2002, 06:00 AM
I've always been a bit of a Dr Who fan too, a movie would be pretty cool, but who to play him.....

How about Tom Conti?

J

MrKip
October 22nd, 2002, 08:23 AM
They made a movie in 1996 starring Paul McGann which unfortunately thay decided to set in America and rather lost its British charm (although McGann was very good).
As to the best Docter: Tom Baker closely followed by Sylvestor McCoy. Pat Troughton was really good in the episodes I've seen him in but most of his run was deleated so he may have been dire in those ones who's to know?

Jacquin
October 22nd, 2002, 09:46 AM
I thought Patrick Troughton was pretty good too. Sylvester McCoy was brilliant but he was lumbered with the worst ever assisstant. To be honest I was quite keen on Peter Davidson too.

I did see the film and it wasn't bad but imho it was a little too serious.

J

Bond
October 22nd, 2002, 10:12 AM
Who was Sylvester McCoy again? The 7th or 8th Doctor? The series ended right? With whom as the Doctor? I used to know it pretty well from Jon Pertwee to Peter Davidson and some of Hartnell and Troughton. From what I recall the series really went downhill after Davidson.

milamber_reborn
October 23rd, 2002, 04:22 AM
I'm a huge Dr Who fan.

Fav Doctors:

1. Tom Baker - He WAS The Doctor in the late 70's & 80's
2. Jon Pertwee - the UNIT times on Earth were some great episodes, the action Doctor
3. Patrick Troughton - Played the clown sometimes, had good assistants backing him up, one of the best Doctors in the novelisations
4. Sylvester McCoy - did a great job with the show undeservedly going down the gurgler
5. Peter Davison - Youthful, charming, lacked some standout episodes
6. William Hartnell - Haven't seen as many of his as I would like but he kickstarted the show, and pulled off the wise & mysterious thing well.
7. Colin Baker - underrated, it was the poor storylines excpet for Trial Of A Time Lord episodes which were ingenious, plus they put the series up against Eastenders in UK and it started losing viewers.
8. Paul McGann - just cause we've only seen him once, though he was pretty good given the circumstances
9. Peter Cushing - did a passable job in the Dalek movies

Order of Doctors = WH, PT, JP, TB, PD, CB, SM, PM in the movie

AlienLogic
October 23rd, 2002, 08:03 AM
My favourite doctor was Tom Baker. Followed by Jon Pertwee and Patrick Troughton.

As for companions I had a crush on Sarah Jane Smith and I also liked Josephine Grant.

I remember Tom Baker saying "There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." and this saying has stuck with me ever since.

I watched the 1996 movie and quite enjoyed it. I would love another movie to be made.

Exterminate Exterminate

Hobbit
October 23rd, 2002, 04:39 PM
Evidently Doctor Who is a bit like the old adage about Sf - the 'best doctor' depends on how old you were when you were watching it as a teen (ie: about 14).

My own kids have been watching the reruns on UK Gold here in the UK and actually quite like them. My youngest (aged 6) loves the Daleks! (Frightened the hell out of me at his age, but I guess times have changed....)

Always one where the stories (usually) were better than the special effects, the Doctor has aged at a variable rate in my opinion. Some of the old stories have dated badly, but some are still surprisingly good. It's a shame a lot of the Patrick Troughton episodes in particular are now missing, as I would have liked to see more of those. When a late teenager I lost track of a lot of it and have quite enjoyed some of the later stories in the reruns (though I really don't like Bonnie Langford!).

Sylvester McCoy has been a revelation - it's a crying shame he was just getting to play the part he way he wanted it when it was cancelled.

The Paul McGann Doctor I have also found really good, despite the Americanisation of certain aspects. (The Doctor kissing assistants - whatever next? :) ) Mind you, if you've read the actually-really-good book Regeneration, about the making of the film, it's amazing that the film retained as much of the previous history of the Doctor as it did, or was actually made as there seemed to be hurdles all the way. (There's a lot of interesting stuff on the DVD of that one too, btw.) All credit to the producer (Philip Segal) on that one. The next story about the Daleks sounds as if it would have been SO good too!...and the Cybermen.... :)

Hobbit

Solaar
October 23rd, 2002, 06:09 PM
Favourite was Tom Baker.

Did anyone else enjoy the film which had most of the Doctor's in it??

And the Cybermen were my favourite baddies... still are even today!

Solaar
wants to see Alien vs Cybermen ;)

milamber_reborn
October 23rd, 2002, 11:59 PM
good avatar AlienLogic

The Movie - they didn't even explain the change in the TARDIS! Thought maybe it was the Master's, but his always had a lot of black in it. Maybe their is an interior chameleon curcuit. I found out since that the console is an americanised version of the backup console, and the normal console is still around in there. What about the Cloister Room? The Eye Of Rassilon in the TARDIS????

Read The Eight Doctors, set just after the movie. Explains the snake thing with the Master, which was also a non-doctor who addition. Kissing an assisant - not doctor who.

It was a great movie, cause it's doctor who, but...

There was a K-9 series, featuring Sarah Jane Smith, in the works a few months back. Probably got canned.

Everyone should read Genocide by Paul Leonard. Fragmented style of writing, but a damn awesome plot, featuring Eight Doctor, Sam and featuing Jo Grant.