View Full Version : Newbie

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Shar'lai
October 24th, 2002, 11:19 PM
Just wanted to post and say hello. :D I am a newbie to the community

I lurk a lot, and *grins* I already have a story at sffworld that I submitted nearly a year ago. I have just never been brave enough to post on the board.

I write and paint a blend of pagan themes and fantasy. Most of my works are what you could call modern fairy tales and are short stories, although I am also working on a final rewrite of a 100,000+ word manuscript.

On the reading side of things my fave authors are David Eddings, Katherine Kerr, Tad Williams, Traci Harding, Sara Douglass, Melanie Rawn, J. V. Jones, Terry Brooks, and Garth Nix.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi :D

Radthorne
October 24th, 2002, 11:46 PM
Allow me to be the first to give you a sunny welcome, Shar'lai :cool: (coming from a person out of the cloudy Pacific Northwest of the USA).

Congrats on your manuscript - you're almost there, then! Post an excerpt up here on SFFWorld so we can all take a gander at it.

You say you've been lurking for a while, so surely you know how folks around here eat each other for breakfast when they venture out with their author favorites? Tough crowd, sometimes... I hope they're nice to you!

Welcome again, and I'm sure everyone here is looking forward to future posts :)

Pirate Jenn
October 25th, 2002, 03:00 AM
Hi, Shar'lai! Welcome. :)

So where can we find your work? :)

kahnovitch
October 25th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Shar'lai
I write and paint a blend of pagan themes and fantasy.

Welcome Shar'lai.
I like pagan themes myself. (My avatar is a pagan berserker warrior called Slaine McRoth btw.)

Shar'lai
October 25th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Thank you for the welcome. *Grins*

My only story online at sffworld can be found at http://www.sffworld.com/authors/p/phelan_michele-lee/fiction/awakening1.html

I won't ask you to be nice because I do not expect it, but please take into account that I have completed a grammar refresher since writing this story. *grins again* I just reread it and some parts are almost enough to make me cringe.

The story is based on a dream I had many months ago. I hope that helps to explain the surreal nature of the story. Dreams appear in a lot of my stories, most probably because I love knowledge that a dream can give you if you listen. Dreams are also the birthing place of creativity IMO.

Unfortunately, I will not be posting my manuscript online, except to the crit groups that I am a member of. I have been advised a published friend of mine that it can sometimes impact on your chances if the story is posted all over the Internet. Now I am not sure how true that is, but after 2 1/2 years of hard work I am not taking any chances.

However, I have short stories all over the place. You have but to ask and I will show the way.

kahnovitch hello ... your avatar took my interest the moment I saw it. Your beserker has a face that would inspire many a story. It is also nice to know that there is another who likes fantasy with a pagan theme. :D

Again, thank you

Aik Haw
October 25th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Shar'lai:-
Welcome to the board :).

I have read your story, and I will admit to you, it is essentially beautiful( even though huge chunks of the story requires an autostyle and autoword checker ). Do not deride your piece of work because of mere style. What counts is what it sings of, what it mourns, and the hidden tales it incants. I can see that there is a strong Celtic/Irish/Wiccan theme weaved into it :). This fits the story perfectly, given that it speaks of a world lost, of what could be, and of what may be.

Keep up the good work. I delight to see more of your short stories :). Do illuminate the path for all of us.

Though my Buddhist and Taoist side is now grinning within me, and urges that I say "There is no Path, for a Path is merely what you believe it is!!" ;P

Shar'lai
October 25th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Thank you, Aik Haw :)

Do not deride your piece of work because of mere style

I do not usually, nor did I really mean to do so this time. It is simply that this is the first time I have read Awakening since posting it here. Like all writers, who are still learning their craft, I just noticed how my style has evolved since then.

Maybe 'cringe' was too strong a word. ;)

milamber_reborn
October 26th, 2002, 02:37 AM
Welcome Shar'lai, cool name.

You should read Raymond E. Feist, in particular Faerie Tale. Might be up your alley.

Shar'lai
October 26th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Hello Milamber :)

I must confess that I used to be an absolute Feist junkie. I have read Magician, Silverthorn, Darkness at Sethanon maybe half a dozen times. I also really enjoyed Daughter of the Empire, Servant of the Empire, Mistress of the Empire, Prince of the Blood, King's Buccaneer ... but then he started to lose me.

I read Shadow of a Dark Queen, and Rise of a Merchant Prince, and I got tired and bored. I just started to feel like I was reading the same stories. I have never been able to finish the SerpentWar Saga.

I have heard of Faerie Tale, but to be honest I cannot remember if I have read it or not. It is not on my bookshelf but that does not necessarily mean that I do not have it. I have nearly 5 large boxes of paperbacks stored in the linen cupboard and under my bed cause they will not fit on the bookshelves.

It might be a sign of age creeping up on me, but some days it is hard to remember who wrote what and if I have read it.

*sheepish grin* I usually have to run to the bookshelves and see what's there. Must be getting old. Actually it could be the fact that I have been reading predominantly fantasy fiction for the last 27 years. They all tend to blur into each other after a while.

:)

milamber_reborn
October 27th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Rise of a Merchant Prince got a little boring, but Rage Of A Demon King is a must read. I'd be surprise if you were dissapointed with such a blockbuster.

Anyway, Faerie Tale is quite good, and well and truly separate to the to his series.