Just heard the sad news that Richard Harris died here last night.
He had finished all work on the Chamber of Secrets, but this must now create a few more problems for the third HP movie.
Unless they can do an 'Oliver Reed' as in Gladiator, (many of his scenes were digitally adjusted to cope with the fact he died mid-filming) though I suspect there's not enough footage left over to do that.
Just thought people should know.
October 26th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Was very saddened to hear of Richard Harris' death. He has been a fave actor of mine for my entire life. He was brilliant in a 'A Man Called Horse'. I also really enjoyed Camelot and Cromwell.
As for Dumbledore (a role he filled to perfection), a member of my own message board posted this:
"(I saw this discussed somewheres else) he will probably be replaced by his standin. The gentleman who has been doing the work as his double looks very like Harris."
Today a talented man did die. This world is now a little less bright.
October 27th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Guys, I know this is gonna be real vague... but he was once in a film that I really loved.
Only trouble is, I can't remember his character or the film!!
Can you lot tout me a few of his classics to see which one I recognise??!!?
Sorry for the lack of info!!
October 27th, 2002, 07:04 PM
• The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)
• Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)
• Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
• Gladiator (2000)
• Grizzly Falls (1999)
• To Walk With Lions (1999)
• This is the Sea (1998)
• The Hunchback (1997)
• Smilla's Sense of Snow (1997)
• Trojan Eddie (1997)
• Cry, the Beloved Country (1995)
• Savage Hearts (1995)
• Silent Tongue (1994)
• King of the Wind (1993)
• Wrestling Ernest Hemingway (1993)
• Unforgiven (1992)
• The Field (1991)
• Mack the Knife (1990)
• Highpoint (1984)
• Martin's Day (1984)
• Your Ticket is No Longer Valid (1984)
• Triumphs of a Man Called Horse (1982)
• Tarzan, the Ape Man (1981)
• Game for Vultures (1980)
• The Wild Geese (1978)
• Golden Rendezvous (1977)
• Gulliver's Travels (1977)
• Orca - The Killer Whale (1977)
• The Cassandra Crossing (1976)
• Return of a Man Called Horse (1976)
• Robin and Marian (1976)
• 99 and 44/100 Percent Dead (1974)
• Juggernaut (1974)
• The Deadly Trackers (1973)
• The Hero (1972)
• Man in the Wilderness (1971)
• Cromwell (1970)
• A Man Called Horse (1970)
• The Molly Maguires (1970)
• Camelot (1967)
• The Bible...In the Beginning (1966)
• Hawaii (1966)
• The Heroes of Telemark (1965)
• Major Dundee (1965)
• Il Deserto Rosso (1964)
• This Sporting Life (1963)
• Mutiny on the Bounty (1962)
• Shake Hands With the Devil (1959)
• The Wreck of the Mary Deare (1959)
That's the list of the movies in which he starred. If you want to know what each one was about just go http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&id=1800011800&cf=movies&intl=us and click on the link for each movie to read further.
October 28th, 2002, 04:10 AM
What a great actor. Done just about every genre in the book and did them all well.
Too many great performances to mention but "Cromwell" is one of my faves.
October 28th, 2002, 09:05 AM
It really saddened me when I heard. He was brilliant as Dumbledore, and I loved him as English Bob in Unforgiven.
Wild Geese was my fav for many years. So many wonderful films. The only good thing to come out of it is that we are bound sure to see a Richard Harris season on tv now.
October 28th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Thanks Shar'lai!! I asked for that! ;)
I must have been thinking of Unforgiven.
October 28th, 2002, 06:51 PM
THAT is a truly impressive list of credits. Looks like the world has lost a hell of an actor.
November 3rd, 2002, 08:29 AM
Wrestling Ernest Hemingway was one of those movies that just did it for me. Comparable to Mr Hollands Opus and Um... Ulee's Gold.
November 3rd, 2002, 12:44 PM
A very sad day indeed... 60 years in the business... no wonder that is one hell of a list. My favourites are Cromwell, The Wild Geese and Camelot