PDA

View Full Version : fantasy, sf and romance?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

choppy
October 26th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Hi guys,

I got this from a newsletter. It's not all too often that an editor comes out actually looking for this kind of thing. I figured I'd post it for anyone who may have a manuscript that fits - or who may want to get working on it.

"Anna Genoese, an acquiring editor at Tor Books, spoke to members of the Romance Writers Association about paranormal/sf/fantasy romances.

She said she's looking for unique and original dark fantasy/sf, erotic fantasy/sf, paranormal/sf/speculative romance/"chick lit". Romantic paranormal mystery/suspense is fine (i.e., J.D. Robb/Nora Roberts, Linda Howard), but she doesn't want straight romantic mystery/suspense. Romantic historical fantasy (i.e., Juliet Marillier, Jacqueline Carey, Delia Sherman) is acceptable, but no straight romantic historicals.

Ms. Genoese tells writers: "The romance cannot be an afterthought--but neither can the plot! The romance should comprise 50% or less of the main story. I am open to non-traditional romances (multi-racial/ethnic, multi-spiritual, homosexual, etc.) as well as traditional ones."

She was very specific about the submissions she wants to see: a 1-2 page synopsis with the first 3 chapters or 60 pages of your work. No simultaneous submissions, no query letters. All submissions must be mailed to:

Anna Genoese Tom Doherty Associates
175 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10010 USA

Tor is part of Tom Doherty Associates, which also publishes under the Forge imprint."

Shar'lai
October 26th, 2002, 05:48 PM
:) Thanks for that ... I have run off to bookmark the Tor website for future reference/contact.

milamber_reborn
October 27th, 2002, 09:37 AM
First of all - LOL

Couldn't have been more clear, or is that complicted? I would never purposely write to the stated genre mixes, and the chances of accidentally fitting the bill, not too good. Maybe tehy just want a unique mix of non-unique genres.

LaZea
October 27th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Hmmm.... this seems right up my alley.

Just curious, should you type the address this way?
Tom Doherty Associates
Anna Genoese
175 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10010 USA

And why does Tor have the same address (though i know it's a publisher of Tor)? Should it be something different than Tor's address for submitting?