SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

lesiur
October 28th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Hallo all.

Hope anyone on this forum can help me. I'm looking for the title of a sfbook that is about a war that is fought on the edge of time. The main character even thinks they are shooting at themselves, because when they intensivy the firing at the 'enemy' they get intensivite firing back. And nobody has ever seen the enemy. A couple of minutes at the warfront equals over 20 years when back home again. The main story is about this period back home, but I don't recall much of that. I remember he raises a family there, something like that. And when he goes back to the frontline he has stayed away only for a couple of minutes.

Does anyone know what book I mean and how it is called?

Thank you in advance for taking the trouble of answering.
~~
Maryon

Vandervecken
October 28th, 2012, 05:12 PM
The description (a war so far away that significant time dilation takes place between battles and time on leave) reminds me of Joe Haldeman's The Forever War but it's been so long since I read them that I'm not certain how close to the request it actually is.

lesiur
October 28th, 2012, 05:38 PM
... Joe Haldeman's The Forever War ...

Thank you for the reply. I thought earlier too that this was the book I was looking for. But reading the plot on wikipedia didn't ring any bell. So I think it might be another book. What me impressed was the thought of fighting ourselves, the main character in the book thought they were shooting to a kind of wall where time returned, the end of time, so to say. At least, that is how I remember it. In Forever War there is an enemy. The book I'm looking for they don't know the enemy.

otistdog
October 30th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Maryon,

I've read this one, too, and it's definitely a short story that I came across as part of a collection.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, there were different time "zones" separated by some sort of visible boundary, but there was an overall direction towards faster layers, and the battle was being fought at the fastest layer the protagonist's civilization knew about. Does this sound right?

I can't recall the title at the moment, but I will look for it.

livens
October 30th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Is it "A Dry, Quiet War" by Tony Daniel?

http://bestsciencefictionstories.com/2008/04/20/a-dry-quiet-war-by-tony-daniel/

lesiur
November 8th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Is it "A Dry, Quiet War" by Tony Daniel?

http://bestsciencefictionstories.com/2008/04/20/a-dry-quiet-war-by-tony-daniel/

No, unfortunately, that is not the one I'm looking for. Thanks for trying.

lesiur
November 8th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Otistdog wrote:
If it's the one I'm thinking of, there were different time "zones" separated by some sort of visible boundary, but there was an overall direction towards faster layers, and the battle was being fought at the fastest layer the protagonist's civilization knew about. Does this sound right?

My answer:
That sounds familiair, about the zones. Maybe you're onto something, hope you'll be able to find the title. Thx!!

ian_sales
November 9th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Zones of Thought appear in Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky.

lesiur
November 11th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Zones of Thought appear in Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky.

Reading the plot on Wikipedia I don't recognize it. This is not the title I'm looking for. Thank you so much for trying.

otistdog
November 17th, 2012, 04:33 PM
OK, if this is the same one I'm thinking of, it is probably "Traveler's Rest" by David Masson. It may not be quite exactly as I remember it, but the items discussing it I've spotted online make me think it's definitely the one I was thinking of when responding earlier.

I haven't seen the text of the story itself yet, so if that's not it, post back to let me know.