PDA

View Full Version : What is the strangest thing you've ever done for charity?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Jacquin
October 28th, 2002, 09:47 AM
The reason I ask this is that at the weekend my martial arts group held it's anniversary dinner and I was unknowingly set up.

After several different challenges the group eventually settled on challenging me to snog the guy who I set up the group with. Obviously I wasn't too keen on the idea (to say nothing of his reaction) but when everyone collected over 100 for me to give to this years chosen charity (which was my choice btw) I couldn't really back out.

So, have you ever done anything you'd rather not have done to raise money for a good cause or is it just me.........

J

saintjon
October 28th, 2002, 12:24 PM
y'know, I feel horribly ashamed, but I can't remember anything... I'm drawing a complete blank...

Have I been living all these years as an incharitable bastard? :(

Holbrook
October 28th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Jacquin
The reason I ask this is that at the weekend my martial arts group held it's anniversary dinner and I was unknowingly set up.

After several different challenges the group eventually settled on challenging me to snog the guy who I set up the group with. Obviously I wasn't too keen on the idea (to say nothing of his reaction) but when everyone collected over 100 for me to give to this years chosen charity (which was my choice btw) I couldn't really back out.

So, have you ever done anything you'd rather not have done to raise money for a good cause or is it just me.........

J

I have a photo in front of me to prove it (insert evil laugh here)

Cadfael
October 28th, 2002, 01:04 PM
I have done the usual having my head shaved, on quite a number of occasions.

But I have to admit to cheating the system once... I volunteered for a parachute jump for charity... I went to the training day... did all the test... and looked really intrested... I collected heaps of money for the National Autistic Society... I pretended quite nervous on the day... and made the jump. Anyone who did not know my background was VERY impressed with me...

Erm... I was once in the Paratroop Regiment BTW :D

Mag
October 28th, 2002, 01:13 PM
I was in the Angus santa claus parade once. I had to run alongside a float and give out candy, boy did i ever feel silly.
My kids had fun tho they got to wave at people.

Sammie
October 28th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Cad - on the one hand that's truly bad of you....and on the other hand it's just so cunning it HAS to be applauded!! :D

Talaith
October 28th, 2002, 03:56 PM
I suppose the strangest thing I have ever done for charity was the time I let me friends convince me to let myself be auctioned off for a dinner date. They promised they would be the ones to win the bid. Do to a tragic oversight on their part forgot to go to the ATM they didn't. Lucky for them my dinner date was cute!

Rob B
October 28th, 2002, 04:26 PM
I've been locked up in a makeshift jail. My fraternity ran a fund-raiser of CAN (Children with Aids Network) and we each had Jail time and asked people to pledge money to get us out of jail.

Also for the same charity I did a see-saw-a-thon and each fraternity brother was on the see-saw for about 15 minutes to raise money.

fluffy bunny
October 28th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Erm- ran all over leeds town center dressed up as a woman collecting money for a hospice (well there were a few of us so it wasn't so bad- well until I ran into a few people from school in town that I hadn't seen for 2 or 3 yrs)

On another occasion, wrapped myself up in bog roll (not trying to lower the tone of the conversation, some of it on the outside was used I think) for a bit and posed for photos

The rest were just charity runs and swims I think. Oh and that charity box where u put ur penny change by the McDonalds cash counter.

Solaar
October 28th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Blimey, I never realised that there were so many charitable people around here. Congratulations to all of you!

One year I had to dress as a giant frog and collect money. I had a big paper-mache frog-head (which was hot as hell inside) and a lurid pair of green tights.

Thankfully there are no photos... *phew*

I've also got a history of cancer thru-out the family and always donate to cancer charities, or any involved with kids - due to having some myself.

And we carry two charity boxes in our family store - one for the blind, and one for a trust that was set up by a friend after a young girl in our area died.

Hey - I guess I'm pretty charitable too! Congratulations to me as well!

Solaar
and his pat on the back to us all