PDA

View Full Version : Memorable opening narratives?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

fluffy bunny
October 28th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Don't know if anyone is up for this, but I'll start anyway:

Theorizing that one could time travel within his own life time, Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the quantum leap accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself trapped in the past, facing mirror images that were not his own and driven by an unknown force to change history for the better. His only guide on this journey is Al, an observer from his own time, who appears in the form of a hologram that only Sam can see and hear. And so Dr. Beckett finds himself leaping from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong and hoping each time that his next leap will be the leap home.

The Babylon Project was our last, best hope for peace. It failed. But in the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater: our last, best hope for victory. The year is 2260. The place - Babylon 5.

Shehzad
October 28th, 2002, 10:59 PM
"OH BOY!"

enazwo
October 28th, 2002, 11:41 PM
Space. The final frontier..............you know the rest

Sammie
October 29th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Shehzad
"OH BOY!"

Chortle :)

milamber_reborn
October 29th, 2002, 07:44 AM
The opening and endings on The Outer Limits.

eg. Before we can truly begin to work in harmony with others, we must first find it within ourselves.

Just made that one up, but they usually revolve around a theme.

saintjon
October 29th, 2002, 08:07 PM
Ditto Babylon 5.

For movies, the Salton Sea has a pretty good intro dialogue, which includes a brief history of crystal meth.

Snatch had a good one too.

Back to TV: "Like sand through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives..." :D :D :D :D :D jk

Can't believe I just said that. Boy living at your gramma's all summer can really have some adverse effects on you.

Olivaw
November 2nd, 2002, 06:00 PM
I kinda like the intro to Firefly.

"The War to Unite the Plants was six year done, and the victorious Alliance was spreading its control further and further throughout the galaxy."

"Those who had fought so hard for independence and so bloodily lost had no choice but to live by Alliance law."

"Some never would, and those few found themselves drifting - flying to the furthest reaches of the galaxy, to the worlds less civilized, some barely settled where the Alliance might not control their lives."

"These were hard worlds, and work was where you found it. Those who got by lived by a simple creed."

"Any job, anywhere."

O

kegasaurus
November 3rd, 2002, 12:56 AM
Though not quite what you're looking for, I faithfully submit the following

"A way out west there was a fella, fella I want to tell you about, fella by the name of Jeff Lebowski. At least, that was the handle his lovin' parents gave him, but he never had much use for it himself. This Lebowski, he called himself the Dude. Now, Dude, that's a name no one would self-apply where I come from. But then, there was a lot about the Dude that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. And a lot about where he lived, like- wise. But then again, maybe that's why I found the place s'durned innarestin'.

They call Los Angeles the City of Angels. I didn't find it to be that exactly, but I'll allow as there are some nice folks there. 'Course, I can't say I seen London, and I never been to France, and I ain't never seen no queen in her damn undies as the fella says. But I'll tell you what, after seeing Los Angeles and thisahere story I'm about to unfold--wal, I guess I seen somethin' ever' bit as stupefyin' as ya'd see in any a those other places, and in English too, so I can die with a smile on my face without feelin' like the good Lord gypped me.

Now this story I'm about to unfold took place back in the early nineties--just about the time of our conflict with Sad'm and the Eye-rackies. I only mention it 'cause some- times there's a man--I won't say a hee-ro, cause what's a hee-ro?--but sometimes there's a man.

And I'm talkin' about the Dude here-- sometimes there's a man who, wal, he's the man for his time'n place, he fits right in there--and that's the Dude, in Los Angeles.

...and even if he's a lazy man, and the Dude was certainly that--quite possibly the laziest in Los Angeles County.

...which would place him high in the runnin' for laziest worldwide-- sometimes there's a man. . . sometimes there's a man

Wal, I lost m'train of thought here. But--aw hell, I done innerduced him enough."

The sweet voice of Sam Elliot