PDA

View Full Version : Looper

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Santaria
October 30th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Did anyone else see this and think "what an amazing example of great storytelling"? The plot was so focused, the characters developed and compelling. I read a review on io9.com that stated that, unlike a lot of other genre stories, the genre was not what drove the plot, it was not a "hot wheels track" for the character to go down. Do you think this plot was a good example of having the conflict come from the struggle between the characters and not against a fantasy/sci fi evil? Does that in your opinion make a better story? Just wondering about other people's thoughts.

kahnovitch
December 28th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Do you think this plot was a good example of having the conflict come from the struggle between the characters

Bearing in mind the "characters" were both the same man, no.
The story was conceptually flawed in many ways and runs into the same brick wall that all time travel related film do, i.e. the paradox of cause and effect in a linear timeline.
Destroy the egg to take out the chicken and the chicken is never born. If the chicken is never born it removes the motivation/incentive/need to remove the egg. If that makes any sense.

manephelien
December 31st, 2012, 10:33 AM
In spite of the inherent paradoxes in any time travel story, I enjoyed this one better than most, chiefly because the actors made the characters so believable.

Santaria
December 31st, 2012, 11:56 AM
I agree that every time travel story has the same inherent plot hole but I agree that this one was very well done and none of those plot holes were apparent while watching the movie. I also think that the good writing had a lot to do with that. And apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so: http://io9.com/5970576/director-jason-reitman-explains-why-looper-absolutely-deserves-an-oscar