PDA

View Full Version : Novel where the descendents of a spaceship mission think they're on a planet but...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

andrewscott
November 6th, 2012, 12:24 PM
What's the name of this novel? I read it a long time ago and have been trying to remember the title ever since. The premise is that a somewhat primitive civilization which lives in an overgrown jungle has an ancient myth that they are actually on (or in?) a spaceship.

The end is that the protagonist travels farther through the jungle than ever before and finds the bridge of the spaceship and realizes they are still on the spaceship.

JimF
November 6th, 2012, 02:26 PM
What's the name of this novel? I read it a long time ago and have been trying to remember the title ever since. The premise is that a somewhat primitive civilization which lives in an overgrown jungle has an ancient myth that they are actually on (or in?) a spaceship.

The end is that the protagonist travels farther through the jungle than ever before and finds the bridge of the spaceship and realizes they are still on the spaceship.

Two possibilities come to mind. The first is the Exiles trilogy by Ben Bova and the other is the Ark seriesby Paul Chafe.

Jim diGriz
November 6th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Also maybe Harry Harrison's 'Captive Universe' except for in that the primitive civilization, Aztecs in this case, had no idea they were on a spaceship.

ian_sales
November 7th, 2012, 02:25 AM
It could also be Non-Stop by Brian Aldiss, or Orphans of the Sky by Robert Heinlein.

mylinar
November 7th, 2012, 08:19 AM
It could also be Non-Stop by Brian Aldiss, or Orphans of the Sky by Robert Heinlein.

Orphans of the Sky does not take place on a starship, there is not even one mentioned. Absolutly the Aldiss book, I have it at home, but the US version has a different title. I believe it is called Starship in fact but could be wrong. I remember when reading it that I was surprised when they suddenly discover that their world is not what they thought.

ian_sales
November 7th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Orphans of the Sky takes place aboard a generation starship - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphans_of_the_Sky

Yes, Non-Stop was retitled Starship in the US. Which is one of the dumbest editorial decisions ever made. The point of the novel is that the hero doesn't discover he's aboard a generation starship until the last chapter. So the US title just gave it away.

mylinar
November 7th, 2012, 08:38 AM
I was off doing some work stuff (yuck) and suddenly realized my mistake. I was thinking of the book TUNNEL in the Sky when I said the book did not have a star ship in it. Blasted Alzeheimers is kicking in again, if I remember correctly that is.

andrewscott
November 7th, 2012, 01:52 PM
That's it! Non-Stop! Thanks Ian! I couldn't remember that for the life of me. I may have to check out Orphans in the Sky. Not only am I a fan of '50s Sci-Fi but Heinlein is one of my favorites, along with everyone else I'm sure. Tunnel in the Sky is an awesome book. I have that one sitting here on my shelf too.

ian_sales
November 8th, 2012, 02:46 AM
You should check out some more Aldiss as well. He wrote a lot of good books, and a lot of different sorts of sf.

andrewscott
November 8th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll add some to my Goodreads "Books to read" shelf!