View Full Version : Sci-fi/Fantasy cliches

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ascendra
November 2nd, 2002, 04:52 AM
What do you think are the most common cliches (plots, characters, ....) in sci-fi/fantasy ?

Holbrook
November 2nd, 2002, 06:20 AM
Elves!

Killer robots!

Elves!

Heros that are half dressed when fighting.

Elves!

Aliens that actually want to take over earth.

Elves!

All wise wizards.

Elves!

Can you tell I don't like Elves :D

bir
November 2nd, 2002, 11:54 AM
i dont see it :D

Ascendra
November 2nd, 2002, 12:11 PM
And what do you don't like about elves ?
;)

D.S. Moon
November 2nd, 2002, 01:57 PM
Funny, I feel the same way about elves. They are too easy a concept for me. They are just short people that are either mean or cute. Been there, done that and video taped it.

Now that being said. I am writing a series of stories using Gnomes, now that's different.

It all depends on the story and how things are used.
I just am disappointed with a story that you can predict the ending to because of the initial story set-up.

I guess that's the Cliche part.

milamber_reborn
November 3rd, 2002, 01:42 AM
I like Elves and Dwarves in Tolkien's and Feist's novels, and to me they seem different, rather than total clones. If I read another few series with them though, I'd probably be unhappy about it though.

Orphan boy take son the evil and saves the world. I love books with this plot, but once I've read another dozen series, I'll probably change my mind.

Provided the cliches have a different feel, I don't any of them.

Bardos
November 3rd, 2002, 02:45 AM
Another elf-dwarf-orc-hater here. :)

Aik Haw
November 3rd, 2002, 10:12 PM
Fantasy:-
A rag tag band of heros, consisting of a wizard, a few warriors, a cleric, going to save the world. After going through phenomenal odds( not counting financial poverty), they saved the world.

Sci-fi:-
(a) Alien invasion
(b) End of the world
(c) Big disease striking everyone

kahnovitch
November 4th, 2002, 02:14 AM
SCI-FI cliches:

Nice friendly space-faring, benevolent, diplomatic human beings who never interfere with other races (yeah right!)

Alien races that actually want any sort of contact with the human race, never mind actually wanting to abducting us!

Humans constantly defeating more advanced races in warfare despite inferior weapons, technology, strategy etc, etc.

Roswellian conspiracy theories including crops circles, Area 51, UFO's etc.

Little grey aliens ala X-files, Close Encounters, Dark Skies.... AAARGHH! If I ever see a grey alien I'll beat him to death and feed him to the dog!

Beings of "pure logic", "pure greed", "pure aggression"... in short any race that has a one dimensional psyche.

Oh yes, one more.... unimaginative aliens, i.e. those that are identical to humans except for pointy ears, or furrowed brows, or a slightly curved eyebrow, or a tiny change in nose-bone structure etc.

LeMort
November 4th, 2002, 04:59 AM
My big old list of naff fantasy cliches is as follows:

(takes a deep breath)

1) The kid who becomes a king/mighty warrior/mighty wizard.

2) Magic swords.

3) Quests to retrieve/destroy magic objects.

4) Dark Lords.

5) Elves.

6) Dwarves.

7) Dragons.

8) The comedy midget character.

9) Mysterious, wizardly mentors

10) Celtic influences.

11) Clean medieval societies.

12) Trilogies.

13) Good vs. Evil.

14) Wolves.

15) Ancient, monster infested halls that the protagonists must travel through.

16) Feisty, sarcastic, unfriendly - but secretly sensitive - female love interests.