View Full Version : Star Trek Into Darkness

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Kenneth2
November 9th, 2012, 05:59 PM
The 2009 Star Trek reboot was the best movie I've ever seen. Anyone else hyped about the sequel?

cgw
November 10th, 2012, 07:30 AM
I thought it was incredibly over the top. Maybe that was the attaction?

Kenneth2
November 10th, 2012, 11:13 AM
The fact that it was over the top was what made it entertaining.

psikeyhackr
November 10th, 2012, 01:09 PM
The fact that it was over the top was what made it entertaining.

Yeah, everybody has to decide what they want from their science fiction movies.

Contact and Voyage Home are the best Trek movies in my opinion but none of them are really great.

psik

livens
November 10th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Over the top? ALL of the Star Trek movies were over the top! Going back in time to save humpback whales, long lost satellite coming back with a brain the size of the universe because it felt depressed, anti-aging cosmic radiation... come on.

My top list:

#1 The Wrath of Khan

#2 The Motion Picture, original one.

#3 The Voyage Home

All of the rest were still good, and Ive seen them all several times :) Except for Nemesis, I haven't seen that one. I just found out about it from Wikipedia, how the heck did I miss a Start Trek movie???

Steven L Jordan
November 10th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Khan--as a movie--sucked. Voyage was a worse movie. Of all the Trek movies, Generations was probably the best of them (followed, possibly, by Insurrection).

But anyway...

The reboot was okay... plenty of fun to watch, as long as you don't take your SF too seriously. (At all.) I honestly haven't heard enough about the next one to get that psyched about it, though.

I know the story is intended to better integrate this green captain and crew... but how well will they pull it off, if at all? Will they do any character development beyond Kirk and Spock? I don't know.

livens
November 10th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Khan--as a movie--sucked. Voyage was a worse movie. Of all the Trek movies, Generations was probably the best of them (followed, possibly, by Insurrection).

But anyway...

I was 7 or 8 when I saw this in the theaters. Im sure that skews my perception of the movie somewhat, but I still love it no matter what. Im a bigger fan of the 'original cast' movies than I am of the original tv series. Ill still watch them occasionally, but some of them were pretty silly IMO.

Am I the only one with a cool older brother who took you to see star trek/star wars movies? At 8 yrs I probably would never have asked my parents to take me on my own. I also remember going to see the Transformers movie when it came out, gotta love the 80's!

cgw
November 10th, 2012, 04:40 PM
IMO Wrath of Khan was the best of the bunch. I always thought that was the generally accepted opinion but I really don't know that (pay that much attention).

Steven L Jordan
November 10th, 2012, 09:34 PM
IMO Wrath of Khan was the best of the bunch. I always thought that was the generally accepted opinion but I really don't know that (pay that much attention).

It is the generally accepted opinion. And I still say it sucked, as a story and as a movie... all cliches, bad science (even for Star Trek) and--ahem--"two-dimensional" acting.

My reasons are here (http://rightbrane.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/the-wrath-of-khan-sucked-yes-it-did/)... my opinion.

Kenneth2
November 11th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I've never seen Khan.