PDA

View Full Version : Army of Darkness

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

kegasaurus
November 3rd, 2002, 04:23 AM
Is it true there are two versions of this movie doing the rounds. I've seen the one were Ash gets shot forth into the future and the destruction of humanity, but it seems the Americans may have one where Ash gets shot back to his own time and gets the clerk girl? or something of that ilk.

Is this true?

Jack Burton
November 3rd, 2002, 10:27 AM
Army of Darkness..one of my favorite films!!! You are correct, sir, there are two alternate endings..the US theatrical release has Ash going back to the S-mart, battling a Dead-ite and getting the girl, with a great line, "Hail to the king, baby." and the Director's cut which features Ash over 'sleeping' ala Rip Van Winkle and witnessing the end of humanity!!!! There is a authorized 'bootleg' version that has the director's cut ending, plus audio commentary from Bruce and the gang...worth getting!!!!

kegasaurus
November 3rd, 2002, 10:30 AM
This is actually the overseas version that they push on to us. Would love to swap tapes as I have copies opf your 'bootlegged' version.

Jack Burton
November 3rd, 2002, 02:16 PM
I have the Director's cut SE vhs tape, and the 'bootleg' DVD region 1 version...I could perhaps get my hands on a AOD VHS tape or DVD with the US theatrical version in the near future. Shouldn't be a problem.

chocky
November 4th, 2002, 05:55 AM
Having seen both endings, I personally enjoy the S-mart ending but the Rip Van Winkle ending is more in character with the series.

Jack Burton
November 4th, 2002, 10:35 AM
The S-Mart ending is pretty damn funny!

LeMort
November 8th, 2002, 01:33 PM
I'm in the UK, and the post-apocalyptic ending was the official ending for the film here. I've gotta say, I much prefer it to the lame S-Mart ending.

Our version of the film was slightly longer than the US one too. Groovy!

kahnovitch
November 11th, 2002, 05:02 AM
I've got the Director's Cut which has the apocalypse ending and extra scenes added in. It was a region 1 import.
The commentary with Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell said that the oversleeping ending was too "down-beat" and American audiences didn't like it too much. (their words, not mine)
I think it's more fitting with Ash's character though, as he is a bumbling fool at the best of times.

"Klaatu! Verata! Nec*cough, cough* erm!