View Full Version : Dragon?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

gabador
November 3rd, 2002, 04:21 PM
Hey!
Looking back at the old legends, each culture has its own definition of one of these beasts. Each one describes them as fearsome, large, and lizard like in appearance.
Now, in modern books, you get dragons in many shapes forms sizes, and alignments. Evil, good, big, small, fire-breathing, venom spitting.
The question is, do they make a story dull? I mean if so many writers have written about them, then does the idea not become like a dried out well?
I personally am fond of them. Their power and magnificence never ceases to impress me, and can spice up an story. Of course, when you use them in your book, the book loses some of its originality. Or so I think.
The reason I am asking the question is because I'd like to add it to my book, as something to fill the pages, with no major plot developments to be based on them.They are going to be the perfect beings in this world, secluded, can change shape, use magic like the rest of the races in the realm.
I know it's not a very interesting topic, so write down all your opinions about a dragon/drake.

fluffy bunny
November 3rd, 2002, 08:46 PM
I'm not a writer, but I do read quite a bit, so I'll throw in my two cents worth

Use them, but don't splash them in here there and everywhere- use sparingly and don't stick to the cliches (greedy, sitting in a cave, ravaging local sheep or something like that, or stumbled across by adventurers and hyperintelligent).

Give them character somehow (you could for example write a story from the dragon's perspective). Make the reader care about them, or make the reader consider them a great ally or threat.

There are no rubbish characters/archetypes- they only become rubbish if written badly.

Giroth
November 3rd, 2002, 09:38 PM
I feel the same.:D

Mine are evil,large,and all that:)

Jacquesteau
November 3rd, 2002, 10:03 PM
I like to think of myself as a writer... but then again, I like to think of myself as a lot of things... I don't write much fantasy, though, but I've read a lot of it, and I'll toss in some change here...

Dragons, like any other character you could add to your stories are only as plain, dull and cliche as you make them. The trap is, if you see dragons in a certain way -- i.e. according to the cliches, you run the risk of writing them in the same way.

My suggestion, and feel free to take it or leave it, is to try to find a new twist on dragons, and think of them as you would any other characters in your story. You said, in your world, they're the perfect creatures, right? That suggests, to me, that they have a certain amount of power (political or otherwise). If that's the case, an interesting twist might be to make them really fat and lazy -- drunk on their own power and totally ineffectual as leaders execpt for the fact that people revere them... and fear them.

You could have a dragon that has been exiled and is living the dragon equivalent of a wandering life.

Whatever... it's your story, and I don't want to intrude here... just offering some illustrations. Good luck!

R. Barnes

Giroth
November 3rd, 2002, 10:12 PM
In my books,I always vary the dragons' appearance,and the stuff about it:)

Bardos
November 4th, 2002, 04:53 AM
My opinion is that, if you're going to use dragons, they better be part of your plot, not your scenery. What I mean is that, if they don't play a role---a role; not even major---in your story, why use them? To show that it is fantasy? :)

Also, think about what YOUR dragons would be in YOUR world; make them one with the setting. IF they existed how would the other races of your world treat them? Or how would the dragons treat the other races?

Personaly, I've thought about using dragon in my last project, but it just didn't fit the story. So, if it doesn't fit your story, I'd advice not to use them, as you would do with anything else...

gabador
November 4th, 2002, 05:18 AM
True. The thing is that in my story, the dragons fit perfectly. they have a right to be there, just like all the other three races. They are nearly perfect, and can change shape. They are secluded, and considered a legend to most of the world. So I will try my best trying to fit them into the story seamlessly.
ah, now I thought of another question, which I will raise in another topic.

Giroth
November 4th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Hey,so can the Gryhir dragon,Serira,in my book,change shape:)

He's the enemy,he needs MORE power:)

bir
November 4th, 2002, 12:44 PM
i think it's okay to fit them in the setting
just because they're always used dosen't mean you can no longer use them, its how u present them, try to be original
good luck ! :D

Sepulchrave
November 6th, 2002, 05:12 PM
I tend to have a knee-jerk reaction against "standard" fantasy elements, but I do like dragons. The problem is that so often they become just another part of the background, as Bardos said. Dragons should inspire awe. Because they have been used so much, readers will tend to think 'Oh, another dragon, I know those" and not take much note. Writers should generally not use dragons unless they can make the reader see them in a new way.