View Full Version : Sci Fi Channel

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

ezchaos
November 8th, 2002, 07:54 AM
How do you guys feel about the Sci Fi Channel in general? I don't know how available this TV station is in the rest of the world, but it can be found on pretty much any U.S. cable or satellite package.

Personally, I find the channel pretty disappointing. Other than the occasional Hollywood movie or old episode of The Twilight Zone, I don't really care for most of their programming. IMO, I find most of the Channel's original programming pretty hokey. I compare it to the History channel, which I also find disappointing. I love most facets of history, especially military history, but it seems like all the History Channel shows is WWII documentaries. I guess that's why people call it the Hitler Channel.

Maybe I'll get flamed here by the members who like shows like Farscape and Stargate, but I'm just voicing my opinion.;) Also, maybe my view is warped because I really don't care for most of the stuff that's on TV anyway.

Sammie
November 8th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Was gonna say....Scifi channel has FARSCAPE, BABY! But, admitedly, other than that i hardly ever watch it. (ALthough did watch v old War of the Words film the other night - that might have been on sci fi channel...not sure....)

saintjon
November 8th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Well I hardly EVER watch the TV, much less the sci-fi channel (we have SPACE in Canada) so I wouldn't really know.

However, that Dune mini-series was very good. Motivated me to read the book, which motivated me to read the rest of the books.

milamber_reborn
November 9th, 2002, 12:07 AM
I've only got free-to-air, but I watch Stargate, Outer Limits, Dark Angel, X-Files, Mutant X, Farscape. Think that's all. And I'd watch Doctor Who if it was on.

kater
December 5th, 2002, 09:55 PM
Taken is now on the Sci-Fi channel thus it rocks :D

Rob B
December 6th, 2002, 12:04 PM
I find the SciFi channel frustrating. They have FarScape which I love, and is one of their highest rated shows...yet it is being cancelled.

They are airing Taken which I must admit, I am enjoying a HELLUVA lot more than I expected, it is a very compelling show.

The Dune miniseries was pretty impressive and The Children of Dune followup looks interesting too.

Also, I loved Braveheart but WTF was it on the SciFi channel?!?!?

However...the crap they put on boggles me...John Edwards...that new show about Dreams and a tv series based on Tremors?!?!? I mean the initial movie was passable as an entertaining B-movie, but a goddamned TV series??!?!?!?

They are also doing a miniseries based on LeGuin's Earthsea saga.

To sum up, I like the channel, but sometimes wonder what the head of programming is smoking.

hclark
December 6th, 2002, 05:33 PM
I don't watch much TV, but we do have a dish. I agree that they are frustrating, especially lately. They seem to cancel anything that I find to be any good and keep on the crap. However, I feel that this is common with all TV when it comes to fantasy/sci-fi shows, not just the Sci-Fi channel. With them its just more irritating because that is what the channel is supposed to be all about!

Eldanuumea
December 7th, 2002, 05:33 AM
I began watching this channel this summer when I discovered reruns of Star Trek TOS, and then discovered that Stargate SG1 was on Friday nights. During Stargate I caught teasers for Farscape and thus found one of TV's most original, creative, provocative shows.....only to have it cancelled out from under me!
I'm quite put out with the channel's powers that be over that fiasco.
However, there will be Farscape reruns in January, I believe. I do so miss John and Pip.:p

ezchaos
December 8th, 2002, 07:35 AM
I've checked out Taken and thought it was pretty good.

I'll have to check out A Wizard of Earthsea and see how they handle it.

kater
December 8th, 2002, 01:58 PM
They're doing a production of that?