PDA

View Full Version : Could people help me with some info about self publishing?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Arc
November 10th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm interested to find out more about how people self-publish; I've seen from some of Radthorne's posts that his Road to Kotaishi was originally a POD book, but has now been picked up by a "real world" publisher... but he also mentions that the sample on his site was originally from an ebook version.

So... guess the question is, if I wanted to distribute my work over the net, what is the logical format to go for? I've got Adobe's ebook reader - do they charge people fees to actually create ebooks for it?

And what other ways can you go about it, once you have a short story or a novel completed?

e-Morgana
November 10th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Our very own Erebus has a publishing company that you might want to look into.

Here's the link to the Publishing section of EQUILIBRIUM BOOKS (http://www.equilibriumbooks.com/publish.htm) where it's all set out nicely for you. If you have any other questions, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to answer them for you. :D

milamber_reborn
November 11th, 2002, 01:07 AM
There are POD publsihers like IUniverse, Publish America, 1st Books etc. If you scout around, you could find publishers that do e-books.

There a few people on SFFWorld who have POD books.

Arc
November 11th, 2002, 05:09 AM
Thought there might be some way to, literally, self publish and distribute, eg. through a website.

I'm not really interested in trying to sell my work at this stage, but do have people who might be interested in downloading and having a read if it was freely available.

IaNo
November 11th, 2002, 05:21 AM
Arc.

Whatever you can think of you can do.
remember that.

Richardb
November 11th, 2002, 05:00 PM
I published a fantasy novel of 110k words through Xlibris. I found them to be helpful, and leave your rights very much in tact should you chose to go another route later. Don't expect big sales volume, but a nice way to finish out the project if you have don the work and just want to make it available and see it in print. Its entitled Tulisia. Take a look.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1401066534/qid%3D1037052032/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-2858030-9277405
Kind of cool to see it up and selling on Amazon for what it's worth, but the pricing is steep and keeps a lot of buyers away!

milamber_reborn
November 12th, 2002, 12:30 AM
Arc - It's quite possible just to make your own. If you're only giving them to friends it doesn't need to look professional. You could get the full adobe acrobat and import your stories. Or find YBook on the net. A good program that you give to your friends with an RTF of your stories. Let's you view RTF files like a book, with turnable pages on the PC.

Arc
November 12th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Milamber:

Thanks, I will hunt it down. I already have Y Writer, assume this is probably from the same guy?

Richard:

Went and had a look - that certainly is cool. You sell many copies through there?

All:

Thanks for the pointers, much appreciated.

Radthorne
November 12th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Hi, Arc, sorry it took me this long to see your thread.

As all these other good folks have said, there are myriad ways to get your work published. If your desire is indeed at this stage to create a downloadable e-book, I wrote an article entitled "eBook Roadmap" that describes one approach, which can be done for little or no cost. The article is still viewable at wordthunder.com (http://wordthunder.com/pub05.html), which also has a wealth of other articles to help you with your self-publishing.

Keep in mind that my article was written a while ago, before my book was picked up by Windstorm Creative. Thus the link in the article to the CyberRead eBook edition is no longer active, as Windstorm will be developing their own electronic editions. Also, be sure to validate that all of the other links and information I have in there are still current; as we know, things change fast in Internet-land.

You might be interested to know too that I replaced the eBook-derived sample pages on my website with an actual PDF that downloads into a user's browser. While the original version looked fine in Microsoft Reader or Adobe Reader, it didn't look so hot in a regular browser window. So I elected to change it to a regular PDF, which does a better job of letting people get a feel for the story. For your particular puposes, I think creating a simple browser-based PDF file might work just fine.

Richardb
November 12th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Arc,
Most of my copies are sold direct from Xlibris.com bookstore as the pricing is better, although I am sellling 'dozens' from from a combination of Amazon and Barnes and Noble. On the whole, without spending money to market, and getting shelf space, you end up being lucky to sell a few hundred. Not a good day time job... Feedback has been positive, however, and if enough sell (how many is enough???) then I finish the sequel. If not, then I likely finish it anyway...