View Full Version : Planet of the Apes

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Rupert Avery
March 27th, 2001, 09:03 PM
I really liked this movie.Yet the follow ups were quite sad,and the tv series was so so.
I only saw it for the first time about a month ago.
How does everyone feel about this movie?

Rob B
March 28th, 2001, 03:46 AM
I really like the original
"Get your damn dirty paws off me you filthy ape!". But yeah the sequels pretty much sucked.

Tim Burton's version is coming out this summer, **Supposedly** it will stick a little closer to the original novel that the Heston film was based.

Black Echo
April 2nd, 2001, 10:23 AM
POTA was an incredible movie. But if you pick it apart, it falls apart rapidly. I tore the ICARUS ship to pieces on my website where I'm building a few models of it and another POTA inspired space craft.

The Icarus (http://www.goingfaster.com/shadow/just_what_the_hell_is_wrong_with.html)

Things like: If the ship sank in POTA, and they blew the hatch (and the windows out if you watch the movie...), how did three apes, who don't believe that even Ape can fly, repair the ship (not to mention get it out of the water where it sank), and get it back into space?

The third and fourth movies were bad. I liked the last one, IIRC, where they fight Krupp and his band of mutants. That had some interesting concepts in it. The 'modern day' Ape movies where Caesar comes to power, etc. were boring.

The TV series was interesting, but also toned down a lot for TV, it had less violence than Adam-12 which is sad.

I just bought a complete copy of the animated TV series, all 14 episodes made from network masters. The quality is pretty good for a 26 year old animated series, and the animation is so-so, but the story is still interesting.

I guess you had to be alive in that time to appreciate the POTA series. It was monumental back then, it is laughably 'so-so' by today's standards.

How times change...

Looking forward to Tim Burton's version. It is going to be very dark.

[This message has been edited by Black Echo (edited April 02, 2001).]

bearcatmark
April 15th, 2001, 06:13 PM
I thought the first was a spectacular scifi movie. I did not like the 2nd, though it did add some nice scenery. I thought the third was creative and humurous even if their were a lot of holes in actually science aspects.

I happened to really enjoy the 5th...The 4th did suck major. IT was just nonstop fighting, and very tacky.

Like a said the 5th was great, and it gave the newfound hope.

Black Echo
May 14th, 2001, 11:37 AM
New POTA site up dealing with the details of the "ICARUS", check it out...

The Last Flight Of The Icarus (http://www.goingfaster.com/icarus/)

Cygnus
May 19th, 2001, 08:53 PM
I checked this movie out last weekend as kind of a joke. I was very surprised to find that I really liked it. All except the score/soundtrack. I could really do without all the xlophone, pan flute, maracas nonsense. Though I got so into the movie I totally zoned it out halfway through.

****************Possible Spoiler*************

That final scene with the Statue of Liberty was intense. I was so fooled! I totally thought they were on another planet. From what I've heard here about all the sequels, I probably won't watch any of them.

Vroomfondel
August 12th, 2001, 01:32 PM
The new movie is pretty good. It has a lot of line reversals ("Get your hands off me, you damn dirty human!"), and Charleton Heston even makes a cameo appearance.....but if you're looking for it to stick to the original movie, forget it.

It was originally a book?? Who's it by?

Cadfael
August 12th, 2001, 07:52 PM
Planet of the Apes author = Pierre Boulle

Erebus
August 12th, 2001, 08:06 PM
In case this helps, and if you plan to go looking for a copy of the original book, it was actually published as Monkey Planet, although I'm sure it can found at many places under its adopted name now, including Amazon.com!

Boulle's other classic novel was The Bridge on (over) the River Kwai, in case anyone's interested. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by erebus (edited August 13, 2001).]

Cadfael
August 12th, 2001, 08:37 PM
Boulle's other classic novel was The Bridge on (over) the River Kwai, in case anyone's interested.

NOW THAT... I did not know! I would never have made the connection.