PDA

View Full Version : What Should Never Ever Be Done?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

IaNo
November 14th, 2002, 12:34 AM
I would like to start a thread containing what everyone thinks an author shouldn't ever do. I don't mean things on the large scale, such as blatantly copy another work, use poor grammar, or have no plot. I want the smallest details. Little things that really bother you. What, in your opinions, should never ever ever be done?

I hope to compile a long list and then write a story containing all of them so that I can get them out of my system. ;) jk

juzzza
November 14th, 2002, 04:55 AM
I believe that an author should NEVER limit him or herself in any way. When you are creating your worlds you are... Well, the creator so there is simply nothing you should not do.

There is another thread about cliches and I posted in there too, stating what I thought were no, no's until brilliant writers came along and made them work.

I think a good writer can make you believe anything as long as they are good story tellers and create characters you can love, hate, admire, pity or want to emulate.

Others will disagree....

Arc
November 14th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Not to kill off your thread, but there's a nice starting point for you in this article (http://www.sfwa.org/writing/mistakes_allen.htm).

Mind you, I'd treat his comments with a pinch of salt, for example:

In passive voice, nothing is ever anyone's fault, because people do not do things. Things happen to people. "Irving ate the food" is active. "The food was eaten" is passive. Note that Irving has vanished completely. The food and the action of eating are made more important than the person who does them.

He's nailed the right issue but in the wrong way - he could put Irving back in the picture by simply saying "The food was eaten by Irving", and it would still be passive, making me wonder how switched on this guy really is.

But interesting reading nonetheless.

Fyre
November 14th, 2002, 03:09 PM
I really dislike authors who are like generic toilet paper. No matter how much they try to get their toilet paper to resemble Charmin they're still scratchy.

In other words, I hate people who copy writers like Card and Tolkien and do it badly. Doesn't that stuff just grate on you ears? It's worse than hearing fingernails being run over a chalkboard. All I have to say is, "Yuck!".

James Barclay
November 14th, 2002, 06:59 PM
In my opinion, what a writer should never ever do is write anything they wouldn't want to read themselves.

fluffy bunny
November 14th, 2002, 07:28 PM
And please plan the ending out before you start. So many authors have good beginnings and middles, but haven't thought all the way to the end, and either the ending feels contrived, or there is no ending (yes Jordan I'm talking about a certain series).

Holbrook
November 15th, 2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by NOM
In my opinion, what a writer should never ever do is write anything they wouldn't want to read themselves.

Yes!

milamber_reborn
November 15th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Don't wanna get into a Jordan debate, just got to point out that Jordan does know the ending by all reports. In fact the readers know the general ending. He just decided it would be great to really open up the world in consummate detail.

I don't think I've ever read a fantasy or sci-fi book I haven't completely liked, but then again I really got into heavy reading 5 years ago.

kahnovitch
November 18th, 2002, 05:52 AM
One thing a writer should NEVER do is make derogatory comments about other authors or their work, either personally or via a third party character in one of their stories.
Particularly in the same genre, PARTICULARLY when writer A's work is directly derivative of writer B's work.

Leave that crap for the likes of Eminem.

Duarh
November 18th, 2002, 07:36 AM
What a writer should never do is decide on what s/he should never ever do.