PDA

View Full Version : live-action animes? Ew.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

saintjon
November 17th, 2002, 04:31 PM
Inspired by Katers comment in the Ring thread about Hollywood picking up Japanese films for remake.

Heard about a half a year ago that Hollywood is buying up a bunch of licenses for live-action versions of stuff like DragonballZ and Akira.

Now Akira, yeah, maybe you could make a good film. I for one, won't see it. I mean, the anime was very good, I don't see the need for a live-action flick. The message kind of grates on me too. It's like, "Okay, well this movie was an artistic milestone of cinema (translation: made lots of money and was more original than anything we can come up with) so it's good enough to get picked up by us, so we can do an homage (translation: make a mountain of cash off it)."

In light of just seeing the Ring last night and liking it, sure they make a good movie sometimes, and they're not always working with such motives, but it puts me off.

Dragonball Z on the other hand... What are they thinking? The major appeal of the show is the art style, try dressing a real life actor up like that and he'll look like a clown!

fluffy bunny
November 17th, 2002, 05:10 PM
the matrix has direct anime influences on its camera work, and I thought, that it came out rather well

saintjon
November 17th, 2002, 08:05 PM
Now that I think of it, I can kind of see that.

If you want to draw some inspiration from different sources, that's fine by me. But I say, make it part of your own production! I mean, to me, Akira was a real achievement. The only reason I can see to remake it in live-action is because the director thinks he can improve on it in some way. Well, I've seen Blade and I don't think he can. The other problem is that they're changing the setting to the United States (from what I hear), not such a problem for the movie Akira, but in the manga the fact that it took place in Japan was pretty integral to the story.

kassimir funk
November 17th, 2002, 10:27 PM
I think I'd be willing to suffer through a couple of terrible anime-to-theatre movies... but only as a means to an end. Hopefully, they will do well enough at the box office prompting people to make some GOOD versions.

I'd kinda like to see that creepy teddy bear dream scene on the big screen. Remember that from Akira?

The camera angles and the draumatic poses of anime are what makes it really cool for me. It'd be great to see that on the big screen.

ONE DAY... MY STORY WILL BE FILMED IN SUCH A MAGNIFICENT GROUND BREAKING STYLE. AND IT WILL BE GREAT! OH YES. GREAT I TELL YA!!!

I should probably finish writing it first though. Selling it and publishing it wouldn't hurt either.

Da Funk

kater
November 18th, 2002, 12:11 AM
I agree with saintjon, there seems to be a need to jump on the bandwagon of all things comic or cult at the moment in the desperate search for invention, innovation and the green devil. Personally I hate all comic adaptions on the big screen because they're never going to be as good and like with books the idea is different, subtly or blatantly, that never truly captures the moment of the whole premise in the same way as reading either book or comic. And out of wonder, how in the blue hell would they manage a live version of Dragonball Z??????

kassimir funk
November 18th, 2002, 12:36 AM
I'll venture 5 to 2 odds that an N'sync member makes it into the cast of the dragonball Z movie. Thus oficially breaking the sixth seal of the apocolypse.

estranghero
November 18th, 2002, 03:15 AM
LOL Kass. :D

Though didn't they make a live-action thingie for that manga "Lone Wolf and Cub"?

saintjon
November 18th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Actually, they already have a live-action version in Japan that was made a long time ago. I heard it's pure crap though. :D

*has a chuckle at mental picture of Al Pacino in ridiculous Vegeta wig and blue body armour*

kassimir funk
November 18th, 2002, 05:12 PM
I wanna be Vegeeta!!!!!!

I wonder if Jet Li would pop up as Bu?

If they make an american version I hope that Kevin Smith directs it and quentin tarantino does the casting.

picture Sam L Jackson saying "kameya meya mothaf***cka!"

Oh yeah!

SusF
November 19th, 2002, 11:33 AM
They should stick Micheal Jackson in a live action anime. He looks like an anime character already.

Susan