View Full Version : Fellowship of the Ring - Special Edition

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Erebus
November 18th, 2002, 02:04 AM
Woohoo! I just received my special boxed, limited edition of FotR complete with bookends etc - 5 discs in all. Can't wait to watch it all now, especially the extra 30 minutes of footage in the film itself!

Anyone else seen this 200 minute version yet?

kassimir funk
November 18th, 2002, 02:07 AM
I watched it last week. Very cool. Unfortunately, no new balrog footage. :(

The majority of the new footage takes place in lothlorien. Some fun stuff there. Mostly, it's just little bits here and there. 30 secs here, 1 min there. You'll see.

Shehzad
November 18th, 2002, 02:11 AM
Waiting....

Erebus
November 18th, 2002, 02:14 AM
Sounds exciting, KF, and I can't wait to watch it now! Yours is in the post then, Shehzad?

DarthV
November 18th, 2002, 10:12 AM
I picked up the 4 disc version along with Attack of the Clones on the 12th. I watched LOTR that night...I like how the story was more fleshed out. The new DTS soundtrack sounds awesome...a little bit more dynamic...and less 'hot' compared to the 2 disc edition. The bass seems to be more tight as well... gotta love those 18Hz signals :) (well the neighbors certainly won't)

I only got the chance to watch a little bit on disc 3 for the extras so far...I'll probably watch some tonight.

SusF
November 18th, 2002, 11:50 AM
I'm very happy with my extended version! I've seen most of the "making of" stuff and watched the movie, both with commentary and without.

I'm very happy that they added in the gift giving scene in Lothlorien. It was important to the story.

Susan

Hobbit
November 21st, 2002, 05:17 PM
Agree with all the comments so far, Erebus. Most of the extras flesh out the story, some parts are so small you would barely notice the addition. The statues are also very cool!

Be warned though - the extras get a little repetitive after a while - don't try and watch them all at once! The comments made by Peter Jackson that I have heard so far I thought are very interesting though - he explains why scenes were added, left out etc.

One for the Christmas stocking if you haven't already got it...

Hobbit

fluffy bunny
November 21st, 2002, 05:23 PM
Watched through it- I think the 2 discs (theatrical version) was better as a film- the flow of the film etc was better.

The 4 disc version- I'd say this was the better version for people who read and loved the actual books- all the tiny details have been added, and the transfer to disc is slightly better. As a film, the 2 disc verison was better in terms of pacing and such.

Am I going to get into trouble if I say get both?

As a film buff, I'd say 2 disc version
As a LOTR reader, I'd say 4 discs
For special features and sound- 4 discs

Hobbit
November 21st, 2002, 05:33 PM
Fluffy - no, I don't think you will get in trouble, and I think you've made a good point here. Being an impatient Hobbit, I got a copy of the 2 disc version in the summer. Agree with what you said - lotR-light is for those who don't want to get too deep into the story.

Funnily enough, contrary to what I thought, my kids aged 6, 11 and 13 prefer the longer version....comments such as 'more cave troll!', 'more Dwarf-bloke - look at him with that axe!' and 'isn't the blond haired bloke's archery fantastic...can they really do that, Dad?' were given at the first screening of the new version.

The quality of the new one both in sound and vision is superb.

Hobbit

Shehzad
November 21st, 2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Erebus
Sounds exciting, KF, and I can't wait to watch it now! Yours is in the post then, Shehzad?

Amazon.com can sometimes take ages to deliver... especially if you're in the middle of nowhere in the US...