View Full Version : Geforce FX

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

milamber_reborn
November 21st, 2002, 08:15 AM
Geforce FX out today. Wouldn't mind road-testing one. Splinter Cell, Unreal 2, Command & Conquer: Generals, and No One Lives Forever 2, RAillisport Challenge and Seadogs II are some of the flagship games for it.

Mamb
November 21st, 2002, 12:22 PM
Its out??!!! I thought there was just a reference board available for to reviewers, developers, etc. It will be Spring next year before FX makes it into consumer cards that are actually in the shops. But its got features that a gamer can just drool over. Until then, ATI will keep its well earned position as market leader. In fact, when FX comes out the 9700 should drop significantly in price, so I'm waiting for that time. I'm stuck with a puny GF4-MX420...:rolleyes:

kater
November 21st, 2002, 01:03 PM
Only a GF4 :eek: ????? I hate this board advancement nonsense, it really is the stinky end of capitalism.

fluffy bunny
November 21st, 2002, 01:43 PM
Not getting one 'til the sofware (ie games) catches up with the hardwaew technology wise- my geforce 2 pro STILL runs just about every game (with the exception of UT2003) at max detail at 1024x768 at very good frame rates. Have a feeling that geforce 3 is the card that takes advantage of enough software to be worth buying at the mo (add to that the mark up price on all new technology items in the 1st 6 months to a year by the manufacturer to recoup investment losses).

Should be getting a geforce fx in 2 yrs I think (by which time I'll also be needing new RAM and a processor).

DarthV
November 21st, 2002, 01:47 PM
Ummm no the new video card hasn't been released...only announced. I guess Nvidia is now taking lessons from AMD on how to have a big press event and have nothing for sale for 2-3 months. Volume shipping won't begin until late January...so I wouldn't expect to see them available until Feb. D'oh!

From some of the things I've read, the card might not be 100% DX 9...

I guess I'll see what's out when I upgrade in the spring...this gf4 ti4600 is getting slow :)

Mamb
November 21st, 2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by kater
Only a GF4 :eek: ????? I hate this board advancement nonsense, it really is the stinky end of capitalism.

No, seriously, the MX-420 is barely faster than a GF2, and much more primitive than a GF3. As a knowledgeable person, I am embarrassed to have this "fake" GF4 in my system. Its just I got the computer cheap and it was non-customisable. I plan to upgrade soon, to a Radeon 9500pro, which should come down in price when FX comes out.

Originally posted by Fluffy

Should be getting a geforce mx in 2 yrs I think

Don't do it. I mean, mine is a good card that can run most games at 1024x768 at 25-30fps, and is serving me well, but if I had the choice, I wouldn't get an MX. Get yourself a GF3, especially as the Ti200 are dirt cheap now. Next step up, consider a GF4 Ti4200. Also fairly cheap and miles better than an MX. GF4 MX is basically a modified GF2. It shouldn't really carry the GF4 label at all.

fluffy bunny
November 21st, 2002, 04:26 PM
have to admit- if ur card's a geforce 4 mx, it's not that much better than my proper geforce 2 from 2 yrs ago- it's not fully compatible with directx 8 like the geforce 3 is

Mamb
November 21st, 2002, 04:31 PM
Exactly. There's no point getting a DirectX 7 card now.

Mamb
November 21st, 2002, 04:32 PM
That's why I want the 9500pro. Its cheaper than the 9700, but it still supports DX9

kater
November 21st, 2002, 06:29 PM
I have GF3 and was impressed with it, I built a comp from scratch a year ago with some nifty specs and dodgy parts that run rather well :D