PDA

View Full Version : Ever wanted to make your own RPG?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

king gimpy
November 21st, 2002, 03:26 PM
Just wondering what kinds of ideas you people have came up with

fluffy bunny
November 21st, 2002, 03:41 PM
Already done that- ;)

In the end- make it up in what ever setting you want. Your story, your physics etc- writers on this board do this all the time when they're making their own worlds to set their stories in.

The reason for the rules and the dice is thus- there are elements of chance in real life- if someone's following you, what are the chances he'll spot you. If he's experienced at tracking, you're less likely to spot him than if he's a novice. If you're looking out to be followed more likely to notice him etc. You shoulder barge a door- does it open? If so, does it fly open, or just slightly give? Does it stay shut? Do you injure yourself on it? etc etc

Play enough rpgs, u just make your own rules up. For a starting point, I'd recommend having a look at the basic GURPS rulebook. In an rpg, the limit is your imagination.

Chlestron
December 6th, 2002, 12:16 PM
I've tried my hand at developing an RPG a few times in the past. I personally have no difficulty with the idea of various classes/professions or the various races/breeds/person types and what they can and can't do.

I have a LOT of trouble with quantifying these abilities into something that works in an RPG environment. Maybe I'll try again, as I'm currently working in a universe that seems very well suited to an RPG :)

Shef
December 12th, 2002, 03:59 PM
I strongly reccomen the PS1 game RPG Maker to any avid writer or role player, who doesn't want to worry about the design stuff. Plus RPG Maker 2 for the PS2 looks great. Make simplistic games with great stories!!!!!

king gimpy
December 13th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Is RPG Maker for PS2 being released in the U.S.?

OgreWolf
January 6th, 2003, 09:41 AM
RPG MAker sounds lame.

Me and my friend are actually developing our own rpg, for PC. Well anyway it will be a more actionbased, no, not just hack-and-slash. All good RPG elemts with just a tad bit more destroying you hands when playing. ;)

http://www.liquidspin.com/fotl
Not really a RPG yet, just developing the engine. Will be chaneg to third person.

Dominus
January 28th, 2003, 09:26 AM
I'm really striving for a career in the video game industry as a programmer, and it would really be cool to work for someone like Bioware making RPG's, really cool.

Merancapeman
February 6th, 2003, 07:15 AM
At this school it allows you to do that! As a matter of fact i'm doing a thing or two on game design! I just wish there was a less complicated way of doing so, is there any site where you could mayhaps buys a program which allows you to do so?

kahnovitch
February 6th, 2003, 08:09 AM
It would have to be Blade of Darkness 2 for me.

Dominus
February 6th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Merancapeman, the school I'm going to go to is called Full Sail, in Orlando, Florida. It offers associate degrees in game design, film production, sound engineering and others, plus the game program is 14 months of intense hours and projects, so you get done fast. It's a really cool school, I'd check it out if you're seriously interested in a gaming career.