View Full Version : Writer's writers

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Tanith
November 24th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Here's a fun subject to mull over. Which authors have inspired you to begin writing, and which ones do you turn to when the well seems to start running dry?

For myself, it's Ray Bradbury. His enthusiasm for reading and writing just pours out of every work of his I've ever read, and his essays on writing are more inspirational than any "Chicken Soup" book out there.

Stephen King is another one. His approach to writing is pragmatic and honest--he doesn't pretend it's easy, but he also lays out sensible strategies for fledgling writers.

Those are the first two I think of; I'm sure you all have your own heroes.

Tanith :)

kahnovitch
November 25th, 2002, 02:54 AM
Michael Crichton and Isaac Asimov are my two main faves.
Asimov always kept me guessing in his stories and the endings (for me atl least) were never easy to predict.
Crichton doesn't get mentioned much here I noticed, perhaps because his work is very closely based on current scientific knowledge and isn't that far removed from science fact. A few of his ideas have almost come to pass in the real world, but his writing style and ability to keep me hooked is what I most admire.
Along with the fact what he writes about encourages me to look up and study new ideas (such as chaos theory for example).
I love a writer that opens my mind to concepts I haven't heard of before.

Duarh
November 25th, 2002, 05:01 AM
Robert A. Heinlein, undoubtedly. I think no one has influenced me as much (outside my family) in my life as Heinlein has. I started reading stuff in English with his 'Spaceman Jones' and proceeded to eat through just about everything he's written. That's pretty much shaped me as a writer.

Among other notable influences are Mccaffrey, Feist, Jordan, (of course) Tolkien, Le Guin and Hohlbein (German). Mccaffrey, Feist and Le Guin most notably.

James Barclay
November 25th, 2002, 07:27 AM
David Gemmell was (and is) my main postive inspiration for starting to write seriously (though I began to write formy own amusement many years before that).

Actually, most of my inspirations were writers I didn't like so much and felt I could do better than, if you see what I mean. Slightly negative I know but there's an energy in thinking 'If he/she can do it, I know I can.' These shall remain nameless.

These days, I prefer to stick to the positive and look at who I consider to be the best in the genre and aim to be spoken of in the same breath as them some day. These shall remain nameless too...apart from DG, of course.

milamber_reborn
November 25th, 2002, 08:03 AM
I've been reading Feist, Jordan & Martin whilst I've been writing. And they are having a positive effect.

Fyre
November 25th, 2002, 11:14 AM
I'm also a Ray Bradbury fan. My other favorite writers are Orson Scott Card (I kiss the ground he walks on and I would kill to be able to write like him), Meredith Ann Peirce, Tamora Peirce, Tokien (of course), and C.S. Lewis (Chronicles of Narnia, Screwtape Letters).

I have always found their writing relaxing and inspiring. I notice that a lot of us have the same influences. I guess the best are the best after all.

Fyre

Valada
November 25th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Most definitely Dan Simmons. He's a fine writer who mixes literary depth with kick-arse stories and a great imagination.

Also: George R.R. Martin; Robin Hobb; Tim Winton; Robert Drewe; Peter Hoeg... I'm sure there are others, but they don't spring to mind right now.

IaNo
November 26th, 2002, 03:58 AM
the earliest I can remember was Alan Dean Foster. Now of course Feist, Tolkein, Jordan, George Orwell, and not to forget Hunter S. Thompson and James Joyce.

computer
November 27th, 2002, 09:53 AM
the first books i read were by Brian Jacques. I couldn't get over them i thought they were brilliant. then i was in a second hand book store and picked up the Magician by Fiest and loved it. While i was reading it a friend pointed out to me that she had read other books by him continuing in with medkimmia. Now i've read ALMOst all his books o medkimmia and count him as being the most inspirational author to me. David Gemmel helped but as fiest was my first it sticks out clearly in my mind.

marc

Ladijen
November 27th, 2002, 11:42 AM
The author who first inspired me to write was Stephen King. I churned out many horrendous short horror stories throughout grade school and most of high school. I don't know that I really turn to anyone for inspiration now, though. If my writing doesn't seem to be going anywhere, I read whatever happens to be available, I guess. :)