View Full Version : Diana Wynne Jones

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Bond
November 13th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Who is she?
What did she write that is most notable?

I seem to be running into her name in relation to Harry Potter like books and was curious about her works like the Chronicles of Chrestomanci. Are they any good? What do you guys think?
Thanks.

Caly
November 13th, 2002, 01:07 PM
DWJ is an extremely prolific children's fantasy (and some sci fi) writer. I think almost all of her books have recently been re-issued in the UK (she's British) and they are slowly being re-released in the US.

I really enjoyed the Chrestomanci Chronicals, which you mentioned. I also enjoyed Dark Lord of Derkholm, Year of the Griffin (a continuation of Dark Lord of Derkholm, though they are both stand alones), The Power of Three, and Hyde's Moving Castle (or something like that). I've also read a few that didn't really work like Tale of Time City, the sequel to the Moving Castle book. I think she has also written some adult books, but I've heard that they are really silly. I'm going to buy some more of her stuff the next time I'm in a store that carries them. Neil Gaiman really recommends Archer's Goon in his journal, so I'll try to pick that one up.

Hope that helped a little.

Caleyna

Stor-All
November 13th, 2002, 03:03 PM
I've read The Chronicles of Chrestomanci Volume I and enjoyed it. IMO it's nothing really noteworthy, and I enjoyed Harry Potter more. It has a few neat ideas, but it's basically just a light and easy read.

Aik Haw
November 13th, 2002, 08:06 PM
Hmmmm...anyone interested, read the series known as Dalemark.

Brid14
November 14th, 2002, 05:26 AM
I'm glad someone knows her! I didn't know that she was that famous.
I think her Chrestomanci books are wonderful; hilarious, imagineative and well written. Another series of hers which i must recommend is The Dalemark Quartet. It's quite different from Chrestomanci or Dark Lord of Derkholm, but their some of the best books I've read.
One of the good things about DWJ is that she doesn't come up with big funny moments and then it's all sober the rest of the time. Everywhere through the book, she writes little sentences or describes things in ways which just make you laugh aloud. I've also read her book "A Tale of Time City", which is good, though maybe not her best.:D

Bond
November 25th, 2002, 09:57 AM
I just came back from my local bookstore which I was surprised to find had volumes one and two of the Chronicles of Chrestomanci, The Dark Lord of Derkholm, and three out of four books of the Dalemark Quartet. If I can get only one, which one should I get? I'm leaning towards Dark Lord of Derkholm because it is one book but the reviews on amazon.com give it only four out of five stars. Your thoughts?

Rachel
November 25th, 2002, 05:21 PM
I love DWJ! My favorites are the Chrestomanci Chronicles, "Dogsbody", and "Fire and Hemlock". I just went to the bookstore and bought a paperback version of "Deep Secret". I had really meant to buy "Hexwood", but I guess for some reason I got the descriptions mixed up. So, I guess I'll be taking another trip to the bookstore. Oh, woe is me. ;)

But anyway. She's a really great author, in my opinion. As Brid14 stated, she does have a way of infusing humor into her words and descriptions.

Bond: I'd reccomend either of the Chrestomanci books to start off with.
--Rachel

(Rachel - I removed your previous post and merged it with this one! It happens to us all.... Hobbit)