PDA

View Full Version : Elizabeth Haydon - any good?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Elan Morin Tedronai
December 2nd, 2002, 04:18 PM
Well, since I have free money, because David Farland and L.E. Modessit will be published in my country I am asking what can you tell me 'bout this author... allanon is quite reserved and I cannot ask nobody but you... So my questions are: is Elizabeth Haydon very good author... Can she compare with Farland and Modessit, or even with grandmasters Jordan, Feist and Martin( :rolleyes: )?
[edit]Oh and one more... How many books is her saga... I can see that in her first saga there are 3 books... but next 2 books - Requiem For The Sun and Destiny - are they saga and what saga are they... In the same world? And give some description and map of her world if ya can...

Mithfânion
December 2nd, 2002, 04:22 PM
No

I think she's a terrible writer and one of the worst one's out there. Lame characters, a lot of meandering, nothing really cool happens. Especially the main female lead and her sidekick stink.

Elan Morin Tedronai
December 2nd, 2002, 04:24 PM
Very radical opinion...:eek: Are there some sort of fans of her, who can tell some praise...

Jasc
December 2nd, 2002, 04:33 PM
I disagree. I read her and i thought she was a wonderfull writer. In fact, I would go as far as to say her Raphsody saga makes my top 15 books. Her plot is good, and her characters well developed (the main ones moreso then the side kicks obviously). I would reccomend getting buying her books

I myself like books written by:Jordan, Martin, Erickson, Farland, Williams, Elloitt, Russell, haydon

Buy her books.

Mithfânion
December 2nd, 2002, 05:02 PM
Radical on it's own yes, but not in context of others. I've actually met a good deal of people on the Net that were disappointed with her works. Not recommended as far as they (and myself) are concerned.

Jon Shannow
December 2nd, 2002, 09:37 PM
I really enjoyed all four of her books the trilogy abit more than the follow up.
The characters are the driving force of the story,s and are very well done the plots good and the action clever I recommend the first book to everyone. I place her writting above Farland and Modessit it would be a bit of a reach to put it in the same class as Feist..

Daenerys
December 3rd, 2002, 04:03 AM
I read the first book of a series, I think it was Rhapsody. And although I liked it, it really is not that bad, I never felt the urge to buy the second in the series. I would rather spend my money on other books that won't let me go so easily.

I found her style easy to read, the plot was well thought through the characters were nicely thrown together and still it was nothing exceptional. It missed a spark, I think. Maybe someday I will borrow the second part and be amazed by how well that is, but based on book one, I won't buy it.

Instead, I bought the latest Lemony Snicket ;), so that'll tell you about my priorities.

Rob B
December 3rd, 2002, 02:05 PM
By no means is Haydon the best out there. I got the first book for free so I decided to continue with the series. I agree with Mithf, the main character is quite annoying. However, the world Haydon created was pretty good and the supporting characters, were fairly enjoyable.

I like Farland a heck of alot more.

Richardb
December 3rd, 2002, 03:04 PM
I simply don't think that Hayden compares in any way with Farland or even Modessitt. It is rare for me to purchase a book and chose not to finish it. I read about 40 fantasy titles a year... and yet I could not bring myself to finish Rhapsody, and would never purchase the rest of the series.
The characters were okay... and the writing good, but the story simply meanders along and nothing ever seems 'real' or gripping in any way. I just was never made to care about the story or characters. I great example of an author with some skill in the craft of writing, but not enough skill in the craft of story telling.

Elan Morin Tedronai
December 4th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by FitzFlagg
By no means is Haydon the best out there. I got the first book for free so I decided to continue with the series. I agree with Mithf, the main character is quite annoying. However, the world Haydon created was pretty good and the supporting characters, were fairly enjoyable.

I like Farland a heck of alot more.
Will I make some sort of mistake purchasing her? :confused: