PDA

View Full Version : Roll call! Aspiring authors, please!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

I, Brian
December 4th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Hi there -

As a seriously aspiring author, I'm always interested who else is in the same boat.

If you are too, it would be nice to announce it on this thread - that way, we can keep up with everyone's progress and cheer each other on.

Submitted a series of fantasy novels this year, but no agent would bite. Now finishing the editing on a sci-fi which I believe is much closer to market demands.

One day I WILL be published. Sense of destiny, and all that. Just darn hard realising it in practical terms!

Anyway, post away!

:)

Brian

Holbrook
December 4th, 2002, 10:49 AM
An aspiring author?

Yes, least I think I am. Though I might not be. Sometimes the whole thing is such a pain in the rear I feel like giving up and never putting finger to keyboard again.

Am I any good? Those that have read by work are the only ones that can say that. Though how much people say what you wish to hear and how much is truth I sometimes wonder.

None of my recent work is up on this board, only some old stuff and work in progress. Of late my stories haven't been suitable, content wise, in my opinion

I do have a novel( my second) out publisher hunting at the moment and various short stories being put through the mill with a number of anthologies and magazines.

I have enough rejections to fill a small lever arch file and then some.

Will I get published..... very much doubt it....

Fate prefers to kick me in the teeth on so many levels I sometimes doubt my sanity.

I haven't slept or rather had more than 6 hours in the last 48-72 so you can take what I have said with a pinch of salt....

Solaar
December 4th, 2002, 11:45 AM
I, too, doubt Holbrook's sanity...

I will be famous one day - but until then I'll have to continue getting articles in magazines and writing for fun in the little spare time I have.

Solaar
needs more hours in the day

Fyre
December 4th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Solaar
I, too, doubt Holbrook's sanity...

I second that motion Solaar.

I am also an aspiring writer. I have had a few little things published: newspaper artices, poetry, and a few short stories. That doesn't exactly make me an author. I would like to have my name eternally connected to some great novel--the kind of novel that's required reading in college.

Oh well, it will probobly never happen but I can at least try. I might as well set high goals for myself. The hardest thing is pleasing...well...me. I've burned so many manuscripts because I was ashamed of them.

But who knows, maybe someday we'll all be famous and actually making some of that ellusive thing called money (an almost unknown substance among writers).

choppy
December 4th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Asipiring author yes, but how serious I am about it varies from day to day. I'm already on track to a completely unrelated career that has a lot more promise than that of a starving writer.

Still, I like to dream. I just finished a crappy short novel that was written in about 22 days for the NaNoWriMo challenge. I know I can write a lot better though.

Richardb
December 4th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Just a nit to pick, I don't believe anyone is an 'aspiring' author. If you have written, you are an author! Aspiring to be published is something different altogether, but don't discount how few people can say, I wrote that 100,000 words, I told that story, and I am proud to have done it. If you are one of them, then acknowledge what a great thing that that is... and what a rare thing that is.
I am pleased to say that I am a writer, and have finished two novels, am working on a third, and have a number of short stories. Perhaps when they update the site one of my short stories will even show up here...
As to publishing, I published myself, because it felt like it made my book more real to me. So, I have achieved everything I wanted.

Abby
December 4th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Nice to meet you all.

I have written several SF-Fantasy novels and short stories, and have never been published (excluding essays). But I'm still young and ambitious. :) It probably doesn't help that I haven't exactly queried or submitted my work to many (or ANY) publishers and agents... but that will change soon. I've recently finished an 850 page novel and am in the process of revising it. I've spent too long trying to convince myself NOT to be a writer, and have finally given up.

If anyone would like to privately exchange novel critiques, please email me!

More info on my website at: Abby's Corner (http://www.bluestarfolly.com/abby/) (clicky the linky)

milamber_reborn
December 5th, 2002, 03:47 AM
My way of seeing it is that I am a writer, but not yet an author. Sending out short stories to zines and contests at the moment. To me writing is my destiny, my hobby and my job, and anyone who tells me to be realistic can leave me to my writing. When I get published, hopefully soon, I'm sure I rant and rave on here. Just like when I ranted after my first rejection. I'm well and truly over that now, and I say: bring on the rejections, it'll be worth it when one of my stories do get accepted.

Aik Haw
December 5th, 2002, 04:19 AM
*Drops his name into the box*.

For me, my ambition to be a published author, not just the occasional article or story in ezines or magazines, twines stronger with each rising sun, despite external forces that more often than not seeks to dull it down.

juzzza
December 5th, 2002, 05:16 AM
I am a writer and hope to publish a novel with a large publishing house who treat me like a God and get me into celebrity movie premieres.

So far I have had two short stories published at online Webzines, only one paid me. And recently I have had two acceptances from printed magazines (Here & Now, Legend) and will be included in a crime anthology next year some time.

I could get another short published (maybe) if I make some changes to the story, but am going to keep it the way it is, based on my own soul searching and support from guys at this forum.

I have one completed novel-length ms that needs a serious edit and some re-writes and a few chapters of something that has promise in the Dark Fantasy genre (open to debate... on it being dark and having promise I guess LOL).

I have a confession to make and I am ashamed to admit it. Some of you will not talk to me, especially Holbrook...

I wanted to test out my Query Letter technique and sent it to an agent. The bugger wanted to read my full ms!!! I was nowhere near ready so just didn't respond... How stupid am I. (note no question mark so please don't answer).