PDA

View Full Version : How do you read your books?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Stor-All
December 7th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Well, how do you read your books? Do you crease them, dog ear them, and generally make them "yours"? Or do you protect them like you would a baby, and try to keep them as safe as possible??

Stor-All
December 7th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Seeing as it is my poll, I think I'll go first.
I try and keep my books looking as new as possible. I often find myself opening my closet and looking at my bookshelf, so seeing books looking brand new is pleasing to the eye. Of course that may also have to do with me being somewhat of a perfectionist...

kater
December 7th, 2002, 12:34 PM
I cringe if I ever see someone turning the pages on a book wrong or anything of that ilk, I like everything keep in perfect condition.

Holbrook
December 7th, 2002, 12:49 PM
A book is not mine until it has part of a meal or the contents of a sandwich dropped onto its open pages....

Strange when I re-read a book I can tell from the stains how much I enjoyed it or where I read it *g*

kater
December 7th, 2002, 12:57 PM
*shudders*

Sasha
December 7th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Books are far more welcoming when they're well worn, although it's a great feeling to open a new book for the first time, to make the first creases on the spine :)

Mamb
December 7th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by kater
I cringe if I ever see someone turning the pages on a book wrong or anything of that ilk, I like everything keep in perfect condition.

Same here. My brother is scared of touching any of my stuff (be it books or anything else) because I always get edgy about how he treats it. I mean, I don't keep my books in a sterile chamber or wear gloves when I'm reading, but I try to prevent unnecessary damage. I don't really mind the inevitable wear and tear though.

Daenerys
December 7th, 2002, 05:57 PM
I am careful with my books. Even the paperbacks. I once got some books back from someone who had assured me she was a careful reader... the spines where unreadable, they were that bent. I was shocked.

Not that my books are in pristine condition, but I do not throw them around, or drip ketchup on them while eating. But most of them still look good and somewhat new. Maybe because a lot are new. I buy too many books.

andolimont
December 7th, 2002, 05:57 PM
:D Forgive me, I can't help it, my books do get creased. I read them alot and it, it, just happens. I don't plan on it, I am so sorry

BBBBBBBBBBBooooooooooooooHHHHHHHHHHHoooooooooooooo o

Sike!!!!;)

Lady Disdain
December 7th, 2002, 07:47 PM
I try to be careful with them, but some of my paperbacks certainly show that they have been well loved (my hardbacks and leatherbounds are still in pretty much perfect condition)

It is painful to me to see someone dog-ear the pages of their book - I seriously lectured one of my friends when I caught her doing it to her copy of The Hobbit.