PDA

View Full Version : What are every1's views of vampires in Fantasy Books?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

computer
December 11th, 2002, 11:07 AM
hello

i just wanna know what everyone thinks about having vampires in a fantasy book. Is there any problem with this.

Let me hear ya views im pondering whether to use them in a project of mine???/

laterz,
Marc

fluffy bunny
December 11th, 2002, 11:35 AM
genre doesn't matter- feel free to mix and match. The undead crop up quite a bit in fantasy anyway

Just beware people accusing you of jumping on the Buffy bandwagon.

Dystran Hart
December 11th, 2002, 12:02 PM
no problems at all here. If you can bring a new angle on it though even better! I read a book which was pure fantasy, but had a vampire influence. David Gemmell's Knights of Dark renown.
Was interesting.

I also read a celtic mythology story container Gods and classic myth, they had Babohan Sith - which were very old celtic vampires, different to the buffy ones. Was interesting.

kater
December 11th, 2002, 08:31 PM
Exactly what he said - Knights of Dark Renown and Morningstar(both by David gemmell) are classic examples of how vampires can mesh really well with fantasy and not detract from but add to the narrative.

Shanoncia
December 11th, 2002, 08:57 PM
I think Vampires are great. Why not write them in when they can contribute such mystery, intrigue and complete terror to the story. That is of course, if that's how you choose to portray them. I myself have always been fascinated by them, and can see them in a dark romance as well as a dark fantasy. :)

allanon
December 11th, 2002, 11:31 PM
Vampires rules! I like them, especially in "Tear of the Gods" by Raymond E. Feist

ChrisW
December 11th, 2002, 11:47 PM
Huh? I don't remember any Vampires.

milamber_reborn
December 12th, 2002, 01:27 AM
Better left to dark fantasy, or not be the major focus of the book.

Feist touched on them with Tear Of The Gods, which was good, and tied them to dark magic.

manticore
December 12th, 2002, 05:30 AM
terry pratchett. lots of them, and well done too.

computer
December 12th, 2002, 03:06 PM
cheers for this guys and gals