PDA

View Full Version : Does someone Know this book?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Keziah
December 5th, 2001, 04:35 AM
I picked up a book somewhere recently, i can't remember where, and only had a chance to read a little of it and now i can't remember the title or the Author.

It set in the future after an alien race has stopped the world on its axis so one half of the world is dark and the other light, they've just discovered that everybody is infertile.

Anyone know this book?

AuntiePam
December 20th, 2001, 11:59 AM
nac -- I asked this question over at another message board, and someone said it sounded like something by Brian Aldiss.

One of Aldiss' titles is The Long Afternoon of Earth, and in that book, the world has stopped rotating. That's about all the plot description they had at Amazon.

Maybe that's the one. ??

Cadfael
December 20th, 2001, 10:22 PM
AuntiePam is spot on..., an excellent book BTW.

aldiboronti
December 21st, 2001, 01:47 AM
This reminds me of all the old SF stories set on Mercury, when scientists believed that it had one permanently hot side and one cold side. I think they found out differently in the sixties. It`s interesting how a scientific discovery can suddenly kill off a whole sub-genre of story. Remember all those golden-age worlds-within-atoms stories when the accepted popular model of the atom was as a miniature solar system? They all died when the model changed to a nucleus surrounded by a cloud of virtual electrons with no real position other than the result of a complex probability equation.

Sammie
December 21st, 2001, 10:18 AM
Ummm, not to be pedantic, (honest!) but if the world stopped turning on its axis any one part of the Earth would still experience light and dark - but in a yearly cycle. (The only exception being the poles.) Ummm....okay?

AuntiePam
December 21st, 2001, 11:46 AM
http://www.sfsite.com/06a/hh105.htm

If that works, it takes you to a review of the book. Apparently it has two titles or was published in two forms, and it might be worth a read.

Sam82 -- there's an interesting discussion going on over at that other board on that very subject. Sometimes the science in science fiction is pretty wonky, huh?

Cadfael
December 21st, 2001, 04:09 PM
Yeh, but come on... it is Science Fiction after all, or would that be Science Fantasy? http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

AuntiePam
December 23rd, 2001, 07:13 AM
dennizm - definitely. I've always been glad that I have very little scientific know-how.

I can enjoy the books without being concerned whether the science is correct.

That's a blessing in disguise, maybe.

http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Sammie
December 23rd, 2001, 11:34 AM
It's irritatingly true that it's v difficult to really enjoy a book once you notice a 'flaw' like that. Ah, the folly of taking science A-levels....

Sammie.

Shehzad
December 23rd, 2001, 11:37 AM
Is it just me or does it read "Sam82....moderator" ??